1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maintaining sanity with massive workload?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by sensei123, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Just wondering what the secret is? I've recently started NQT year in a "challenging" school. The kids have had several teachers so behaviour management has been a major challenge. Previous teachers also left alot of work undone which I am now having to do - reports, APP, etc.
    I'm trying to just keep going and get through it but I am very stressed and struggling to sleep without having nightmares about school.
    I have no life whatsoever outside school - my exercise routine has gone out of the window as I am constantly planning, marking, doing reports or APP. I seem to get through one lot of stress to find there is something else I need to be doing.
    I just wondered what others have done / do to get through stressful times? I keep telling myself it is only a few weeks til summer hols and that next year I will be better prepared for APP, reports, etc, but I want to get there with some sanity.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Just wondering what the secret is? I've recently started NQT year in a "challenging" school. The kids have had several teachers so behaviour management has been a major challenge. Previous teachers also left alot of work undone which I am now having to do - reports, APP, etc.
    I'm trying to just keep going and get through it but I am very stressed and struggling to sleep without having nightmares about school.
    I have no life whatsoever outside school - my exercise routine has gone out of the window as I am constantly planning, marking, doing reports or APP. I seem to get through one lot of stress to find there is something else I need to be doing.
    I just wondered what others have done / do to get through stressful times? I keep telling myself it is only a few weeks til summer hols and that next year I will be better prepared for APP, reports, etc, but I want to get there with some sanity.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

3. Starstellar77

Starstellar77 New commenter

Sensei123, you know there is no secret, there are a few tips but no secret.
    I am concerned about the fact that you are having nightmares about work and that you aren't having any 'you' time. Plan your you time!!!
    More widely I must say that any job that makes us feel like this is crazy and that you shouldn't be feeling like this because it is unfair, wrong and not what the job should be about, but hey we all know that....
    Practical advice about work: look carefully at what you are expected to do re marking. How many assessments per term etc, plan your term in advance around these assessments and where your priorities have to be e.g exam classes.
    Do your school let you use peer assessment? If so use it for KS3, get them drilled into using it. Use a tick sheet or some system/ smilies/ that can be quickly ticked and stuck in their book by them. You maintain an active presence during other lessons and mark students booked while they are on task. Lots of praise while you do this, it may help the atmosphere.
    Mark each assessed piece for the criteria only. Use the school marking policy. No frills. No stickers. Grade, target, however you are expected to do it, keep it brief.
    Planning is the key. End of scheme DVD, computer session. All of these are opportunities depending on the behaviour to mark a couple of essays etc.
    I never just sit in lessons. I am always marking. Maybe you are too?
    Regarding your own time. At 5.30pm you should stop. That is at least two hours over the end of the school day (assuming you are in around eightish) and over a nine hour day.( I bet you don't have a lunch break either.) That is YOUR time, you have earned it.The only exceptions to this are exam assessments for classes that need to be handed back quickly. Otherwise you will get sick, not just physically but your mental health will take a battering. Do not feel bad about this. Teaching will chew you up if you let it, don't let it. If you still feel like this next year, leave the school you are in while you are cheap enough to get another job.
    Enjoy your holiday. :)