1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mainland China prohibited items

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Tower01, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Tower01

Tower01 New commenter

Is it possible to take kitchen knives into mainland china when crossing from Hong Kong when NOT using public transport?

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I see no reason why you should not bring our own household items into mainland China, when crossing over the HK border. No one warned us against this when we were in Shenzhen for five years.

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

If you're white and in a private car you can take whatever you want. You have to open the windows and boot for them to glance at, but they won't look in your bags. They care about people bringing in baby milk and tech, not knives. It's not like security at the airport - you can take whatever you like.

4. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Not sure why you would want to, every kind of kitchen knife you could wish for is available on taobao or baopals at half the price and next day free delivery!

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I have travelled the world with my very expensive set of chef's knives and never had a problem. Not been to China though.

The carp you can buy on taobao etc do not ever compare to a decent set of kitchen knives.

6. Tower01

Tower01 New commenter

Exactly! Which is why I would want to take mine Makhnovite.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  7. the hippo

Using kitchen knives (or anything else) in most Chinese kitchens can be a bit of a challenge. Words like "small", "cramped" and "no space" come to mind, although there always seemed to be enough room for more (and more) cockroaches. Ovens are almost unheard of, although some expats have them on their balconies.

Mr Sir likes this.
  8. makhnovite

Well my old dumbell and Tower01 you can buy decent knives on Taobao, I did just recently. Taobao and its English counterpart Baopals do NOT just sell cheap carp (sic) they sell the whole range of goods from counterfeit, to cheap, to middle of the road, to the very best, all you have to do is search and pay.

Why post about something you don't know. 'Not been to China though.' Is Taobao available in Angola dumbells??

And of course just as an aside, the increasingly discerning and wealthy Chinese consumer shops at some of the most exclusive shops and buys the top brands of most goods. Its not the boonies anymore!

9. dumbbells66

Because i have travelled the world with my kitchen knives and had no issue whatsoever.

I too have bought knives on taobao and bang- so thing or other, and even though they were advertised as premium knives, they are nothing, completely carp in fact in comparison to my japonese and swiss knives.

10. the hippo

Knives are not much use without a refrigerator. We had to keep our modestly-sized fridge in the dining area of our apartment because there was no room in the kitchen. In HK, fridges and apartments are about the same size.

kitchen door small.jpg

Helen-Back likes this.
  11. makhnovite

12. dumbbells66

but i bet i can get it higher than you ;)

13. makhnovite

14. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

From my experience you can buy almost anything on Taobao. Think of some of the most random things and I reckon you can find them.

15. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Travelling between HK and Shenzhen airport, I had to ditch a kitchen knife I'd bought in HK before they'd let me on the metro...

16. Ms_Love_

Ms_Love_ Occasional commenter

You can get good quality items on Taobao for sure - there's a button at the top called TMall which is where you can get quality brands and Western imported things. They even have a picture search where you can screenshot something and paste the picture to get the exact item you need without having to know the Chinese characters for it.

17. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Or just go to IKEA.

18. the hippo

Yes, there is a big IKEA in SZ.

19. makhnovite

and GZ, but go early as it gets really busy, very quickly, and look out for the old ladies sleeping on the beds and sofas!

suem75 and Helen-Back like this.
  20. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Here in Shanghai, IKEA has put a stop to the long term testing of beds and sofas as it was becoming a standing joke in the city.