1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Main obstacles to staying healthy as a teacher?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by sjb1983, Aug 14, 2016.

1. sjb1983

sjb1983 New commenter

Hi,

I'm a teacher but also doing a part-time masters in public health & health promotion as I hope to move into health education in the near future.

I have my own views about the answer to the question above but thought I'd put it out for others before going off and doing a dissertation about a topic that is not that urgent for people!

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Maybe I was lucky but rarely ill and never away . Lost my voice a few times but still went into sit with my classes , which were unusually sympathetic !

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I think teachers' personalities play a huge part in promoting their health and wellbeing. Perfectionists will not survive - you need to be a pragmatist - do whatever works. I also think you have to be quick and clever at seeing ways through problems and be decisive. It also helps if you have high self esteem as the children thrive with confident teachers who love themselves first and foremost.
    So recruitment is the key to having a healthy work force, then let them do their own thing, provide them the support they ask for and judge them by results.

4. maginda

maginda New commenter

In modern times keeping Healthy has become a general issue with respect to most professions, including teaching, The gadgets we use have become faster, while we have human limits inspite of all our techniques and strategies.
    i think we have to list the things we have to do in different areas including teaching, within a time frame. We have to then rank them according to priority and do some rearranging, grouping, postponing and even trimming of activities, so that we are able to take nutritious food,, exercise, meditate and also relax.

5. Urbanfaerie

Urbanfaerie Occasional commenter

Work life balance is the most important.
    As soon as work becomes overwhelming I lose time for exercise and am too tired to cook so resort to junk food. This makes me run down and more likely to get sick.

6. maginda

maginda New commenter

Since keeping healthy is important we might as well be prepared with few food options other than junk food for our busy days. If we plan them in advance and identify suitable places for buying healthy ready made food, maybe we can avoid compromising......