1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Magenta Devine, Rest in Peace

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I had to Google her but sorry to hear anyone died that young.

3. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Sad that she's died. She was super cool.

Vince_Ulam and catmother like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Wow that is a flash from the past. She was always so kooky and ultra-aloof suave cool ~ sort of ~

5. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I liked her at the time but haven't thought of her for years. Sad that she's died.

6. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

This is unfortunate news. She always struck me as interesting and independent. I wasn't aware of her drug problems; I wonder if her illness was related to her drug use.

On a slight tangent, is it just me who thinks Lydon is a self-important bore? I couldn't watch more than a minute or so of this interview (no fault of Devine's). He was the same when interviewed some years ago. The interviewer was odiously sycophantic (in my opinion), and Lydon simply delighted in informing all and sundry "how it is".

Aquamarina1234 and Vince_Ulam like this.
  7. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I actually quite like him. He is arrogant but he's his own person and I might not agree everything he says but I like him for not being anodyne.

I assume he failed to sell you butter....

Vince_Ulam and artboyusa like this.
  8. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Hearing the name took me right back to my youth but even so, I couldn't picture her until I opened the video.
    RIP:

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  9. sadscientist

sadscientist Established commenter

I don't know what Magenta Devine would think about archaic euphemisms. Are we sincerely hoping that she is not being tormented in Purgatory by the imps of Satan? Or in danger of being reanimated as a zombie?
    Perhaps "In Memoriam" is more suitable?

10. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

How uncouth.

11. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

It's just you. I've met Lydon. He is so smart and switched on that its scary. And PiL is a great band.
    Sorry to hear about Magenta. Always loved her work.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  12. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I suppose it must be then. I was chatting to this bloke many years ago who'd also met him, and had only good things to say about him.

artboyusa likes this.
  13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

It might surprise anyone to know i knew quite a few punky people. BF's associate was drummer with Buzzcocks; husband's mate's brother with The Damned (the first UK punk band afaic), my own foster-brother played *an instrument* with a band he'd rather noone associated him with ever after for legal reasons. But an ex-bf was a rookie reporter and was not a bit impressed with JR and thought him a bit up his own rectum. Perhaps he wasn't senior enough (and indeed his career progression took him way out of punk).
    Edit: I met some of them but I didn't like the music or the fake working-class-anger thing (I'm the real deal guys. My Dad was laid off at the steel works last year. Your dad's still a stockbroker.)

artboyusa and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  14. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

He intimidates you without meaning to, since his thinking is so original and direct.
    I still have some great photos from 1980 of Lydon and Jah Wobble and my then girlfriend goofing around after PiL's first ever American gig. Only thing wrong is that I'm not in the pix, since I was the one taking them.