1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

magazines - recommendations for a class please

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by Teacher-in-Training42, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Teacher-in-Training42

Teacher-in-Training42 New commenter

Hi

Does anyone know of any magazines that cover a lot of personal opinions on products or contain movie reviews. I really want to use them with my class but I am not sure of what's out there as I don't really read magazines that much. If you could tell me a name of a magazine that will contain stuff like this that would really help. It's for college students.

thanks

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Occasional commenter

If you nip into your local W H Smiths, they usually have loads of magazines on lots of different subjects. You might find something with reviews of new films.

Teacher-in-Training42 likes this.
  3. Teacher-in-Training42

Do you know of any places that give free magazines like through the post that I could possibly request online?

4. elder_cat

Not off the top of my head. Maybe you could find a web site that allows you to download an electronic copy of their magazine, (most seem to be in PDF format), then print that off?

5. Teacher-in-Training42

Yeah I'l try that..It did come to mind but then I just thought if its like a proper open up glossy magazine it would probably be more appealing to them or they would probably just think that I have printed random stuff off the internet.

6. elder_cat

I hear what you are saying, but that depends on (a) whether you have the time to browse the bookstore counters, and (b) if you are prepared to shell out the spondoonocks for the mags (assuming the school-college won't reimburse you).:)

The other thing that occurs to me is what do you mean by 'user reviews'. For example, in most of the computer magazines I have boght, the majority of the new product reviews tend to be done by staff memebrs, rather than 'Joe Public', and they mostly have a couple of pages at the baack where 'User's Letters' are posted. I suspect that if you used something like the 'Which Guide to XYZ', then once again those reviews are unlikely to have been written by a meber of the public. There are also various web sites, where people do leave their own reviews of things, both products and services (one example might be Amazon), although the actual quantity / quality of the review submitted is a bit hit and miss.

7. Teacher-in-Training42

Thanks for the useful response. True I really can't afford to buy the mags. Do you know of any websites that do better quality reviews than Amazon? I would make up my own review but it would be so time consuming.

Just a random question do you know how if I have to pay any fee to sell my resources on TES?

8. elder_cat

The easy part, is to simply type user review in Google and you'll get links to bucketloads. If you want something more specific try user review xxx (where xxx is the product or service you are interested in). So for example, electric guitars, mobile phones, skateboards, etc. :)

The unfortunate part, is that you then have to trawl through the pages you get presented with, to determine if the responses you find are any good for how you intend to use them.:(

It's important you do that. Otherwise you run the risk of recommending a web site for them to look at, and then finding it's laced with expletives.:eek:

Probably not the answer you wanted, but that's about the size of it.

This link is to a forum post you can follow to find out more about uploading, and sharing/selling resources.

https://community.tes.com/threads/selling-resources.766196/

9. gogogulliver

gogogulliver New commenter

The Week is good. It covers a lot in mostly short articles. It has reviews, a science bit, a books bit and international and national current events with a long article at the end.

10. Teacher-in-Training42

is it free