1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Madrid

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by englishtt06, Mar 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

Dear Overseas TES'ers - I've been a habitue of this forum for over ten years (and am several comments shy of the moniker, 'occasional commentator' rather than newbie). My partner and I have our eye on a move to Spain in 5-10 years. We know it isn't financially great, but we will only require a living wage rather than money to save etc. We are keen on Madrid, but I notice that at least two schools seem to advertise with some frequency (almost annually) for the same posts: is this a red flag? I am aware from this forum of the general pitfalls of the issues of teaching in Spain in general, and I think the schools in Madrid have a relatively good reputation for teachers, but if anyone could PM me I would very much appreciate it. Thank you :)

2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

International teaching moves so fast that any information you are given will be pretty out of date in 5-10 years

3. englishtt06

True, but we're starting to think about where we will end up. The two schools I have in mind are well-established and been around for some time, but in the last few years are advertising a lot for staff - was wondering about the way things lie for them.

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

i am sure @miketribe will be along shortly. he is in Madrid.

5. skeptucator

skeptucator Occasional commenter

We had interviews with one of these schools and looked into the staff turnover in some detail. It appears to be mostly due to the salary there being tax free but only for the first 2 years of the contract.

So many seem to go there and then leave after their 2 year tax free period is over, hence the high turnover.

6. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

I am, indeed, in Madrid and am familiar with most of the schools here except for some of the very new ones. Message me if you want anything specific...

7. englishtt06

Thank you everyone for your swift and informative replies - Miketribe, I have PM'd you.

8. charlotterose04

charlotterose04 New commenter

Hi Miketribe, I have an interview for a school in Madrid and would love yto pick your brains but can't work out how to PM you! I'm a complete newbie to the forums!

9. miketribe

I sent you a PM. Next time you want to send one, you just click on the name of the person on the left and then click on "start conversation"...

10. lucykc1970

lucykc1970 New commenter

Hi Miketribe
    could I PM you too ? Sorry you must be inundated with teachers pecking for information - such is the cross to bear of the experienced international teacher who lives in a place where the sun shines - let me know if you don't mind. Am interested specifically in Madrid and just North of..
    thanks
    Lucy

11. miketribe

Please go ahead...