1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Madrid - salary and cost of living

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by acs39, Feb 20, 2020.

1. acs39

acs39 New commenter

Hi there!

This is a shout out to anyone who is already living in Madrid and working at an international school.

I currently live in London but I am planning to relocate to Madrid at the start of the next academic year.
    I have just been offered a job at a small, British international school on the outskirts of Madrid.

In terms of the salary, I have been offered 2.000 euros a month before tax. As someone who is living in London where the cost of living is extremely high (but I do earn a significant amount more in my current role) 2.000 euros a month before taxes seems very low! Is this a standard salary and will I be able to live in Madrid comfortably on that wage?

Any advice and words of wisdom much appreciated.

TIA x

2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Check Numbeo.

There is no European capital city when you can live comfortably on 2000 a month gross. According to a very quick and probably not that accurate online calculator, that works out as just over 1500 a month net. Decline

3. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Even if you're moving to Spain for the lifestyle rather than the money, I don't think you'd have much money left to enjoy the lifestyle.

4. theintlteacher

theintlteacher New commenter

And you need to find rent out of the remainder, presumably? In Madrid. Numbeo and common sense number-crunching should always be applied to any offer. As T0nyGT advises... decline.

5. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

It is just about do-able. But you'd have to share an apartment and you wouldn't have much in the way of savings at the end of the month. The salary you quoted is a bit higher than local private school teachers get, and they manage, but many of them live at home or have working spouses...

6. acs39

acs39 New commenter

Thanks everyone, really appreciate all your perspectives

7. Interista

Interista New commenter

I'm in Madrid now and on a similar salary. My rent is 500 for a room in a centre apartment, I am a 5 minute walk from Sol, that is going to pretty standard for a room and possibly at the cheaper end. You can pay less but you get less. If you want something on your own you will pay a lot more, I know people paying nearly 1000.
    If you don't have other outgoings you will be able to make it last, you can eat and drink out relatively cheaply, though of course you can spend a fortune. Travelling around Madrid is reasonable, if you want to go further it can get pricey, trains aren't cheap but they run properly.
    If you're looking to save money don't bother with Madrid or Spain. Also if you value your well being consider the school carefully. Your description of the school is vague enough for it to be pretty much any of them. Some look after their staff much better than others.

DocShew and acs39 like this.
  8. MayaJones

MayaJones New commenter

it's a very poor salary and typical in Spain. After deductions, rent and food you'll be left with nothing.
    I get 2800 Euros NET in another southern European country.

9. tillsbury

tillsbury New commenter

Is there any room to negotiate? My first job offer in Madrid started at 26000 and I got them up to 28000, just by being asking "is this a salary for someone with x amount of years experience?" In the end I got a job at another school for 31000 which was enough to live alone but not save anything.
    As said you will need to share an apartment and even that can be expensive 400-600 euros per month. If you want to live alone, flats outside of the centre will still be half of your salary and bills are expensive. It also depends on your lifestyle. If you drink a lot and go to clubs every weekend your money will disappear.
    I left Madrid in September to travel but I miss the city so much that I am returning. I even turned down a job where I can apparently save 1500 a month to go back. It's a great city and you won't regret moving there.

10. docHolliday

docHolliday New commenter

In Madrid as in the rest of Spain the state schools pay considerably more than private schools. it is easier to get a job in private school as they have more freedom regarding who they contract and they are keen to sign up native speakers. To work in a state school you need to have your qualifications recognised by the Spanish ministry of education, then you will need to take the competitive exam, 'oposiciones', to get onto the staffing list for any particular region. The regional government then allocates you to a school.
    There is a hybrid route, part private, part state-funded, which is to work in a 'concertado' school. These pay more than private schools. Concertado schools employ staff directly like private schools and once again are open to anyone who has had their qualifications and experience recognised by the ministry of education.

11. shakes1616

shakes1616 Occasional commenter

I keep thinking of "concertino" when I see that word. It makes me laugh as I can just see an Aussie or UK teacher trying to make more money on the side playing the "concertino" by the way side. :))

12. Zimrilim

Zimrilim New commenter

Madrid isn’t cheap, but €2,000 after tax is considered a good salary in a country where there is considerable income inequality. It’s also important to bear in mind that if you work in the country for 15 years (I think) you will be entitled to an excellent Spanish pension. This pension largely offsets the savings you can make working in other countries.

13. miketribe

unfortunately, 15 years only entitles you to the MINIMUM pension. To get the full pension, it’s 35 years. However, you can apply years paid in some other countries to your Spanish contributions...

14. DocShew

DocShew New commenter

According to someone I know who worked in local politics for a number of years, there might be nothing in the pot when it's time to draw a Spanish state pension.

15. miketribe

Not likely. The Pensioner Vote at elections given the aging population that such a thing would be electoral suicide...

DocShew likes this.
  16. colacao17

colacao17 Occasional commenter

The spectre of greece and what happened there to pensions is scary and could, of course happen again - but not just in Spain. And not just to public pensions either - there is a thread over on personal where people are stressing about their investments taking a hit because of the share slump caused by Coronavirus.

None of us knows what the future holds.

If you're worried about your pension buy gold or keep your money in the sock drawer.

DocShew likes this.