1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

madrid salaries

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by cheapfry, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Hi,

i've been working in madrid for several years now at a regal school but have been progressively getting lower and lower pay and have started wondering whether to apply to other madrid schools. Can anyone out there give me ideas about salaries. My school initially offers a tax free deal for 2 years which works out about 1900 euros a month then i received a golden hello but my overall salary still dropped in the long term, about 1750 euros a month. how does this compare?? any info would be great, oh an i dont get half terms so even that would be a bonus at another school. regular teacher with no promoted post.

thanks.

2. Hi,

i've been working in madrid for several years now at a regal school but have been progressively getting lower and lower pay and have started wondering whether to apply to other madrid schools. Can anyone out there give me ideas about salaries. My school initially offers a tax free deal for 2 years which works out about 1900 euros a month then i received a golden hello but my overall salary still dropped in the long term, about 1750 euros a month. how does this compare?? any info would be great, oh an i dont get half terms so even that would be a bonus at another school. regular teacher with no promoted post.

thanks.

3. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Spain is a mixed bag, with an oversupply of teachers chasing a few very doubtful contracts. Would it be worthwhile to let your school know you are thinking of leaving and hope that they make you a better offer to stay?

4. Hi,
    I've just got a job at a school on the outskirts of Madrid which has offered me a pretty lame salary (about the same), has no half terms and tax free deal, I have a feeling we may be talking about the same school... What's it called? I'm wondering whether to sign the contract as it's not a great deal...
    I have heard that in Spain generally salaries are disappointing, however I've read elsewhere that it has the highest average salary in the west of Europe. Is this an international school and if so are they run by a UK company? I'm a bit worried about mine because they haven't mentioned anything about pay scales and whether the pay goes up incrementally each year or not...
    Might be worth showing them a copy of the UK teacher pay scales https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6000186 and comparing the numbers directly to your salary, if they're an international school run by a UK organisation its pretty shocking that they can't match the M scale salaries. I'm doing the same to try and haggle a little more munny :)

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Supply and demand.
    There are too many teachers chasing too few posts. The schools are well aware of how little they offer, and they see no need to do better. I doubt haggling will do much good.