1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Made Redundant

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by WorldTeacher60, Jul 16, 2020.

1. WorldTeacher60

WorldTeacher60 New commenter

I, and a few colleagues, were recently made redundant.
    Some had been in post a few years and some for well over ten.
    Having never experienced this before, is it normal to just receive an email about this out of the blue?

2. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

No, but then the current situation is far from normal.

Nonetheless it shouldn't have happened like that, a decent school wouldn't do that to their employees.

I offer my condolences to you and your colleagues and hope this leads on to better things for you all.

3. WorldTeacher60

Thank you.
    I should explain further that it’s an International School and not one in the UK.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Sorry to hear that.

Which country?

5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

it happened to colleagues of mine in the UK too, not by email, but equally out of the blue

6. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Sadly, I think there is a lot of that going around at the moment. The Corona situation is only just beginning in terms of the economic woe about to hit.

Sorry, that's not a cheery perspective!

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

It happened to 3 teachers in the school I worked in, in Dubai. They were over 60 and still eligible to work (visa arrangements just change after 60). They were well respected and it came out of the blue, via a letter in their pigeon hole.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Sending that sort of message by email is quite a scummy thing to do. I was very sorry to read about this, WorldTeacher60.

As previous posters have noted, the Coronavirus is having (and is going to have) a big impact on international schools.

9. 576

576 Established commenter

I would hope that decent management would deliver news like this in person and face to face.

10. WorldTeacher60

I agree.
    I understand that a struggling business needs to make adjustments but there are ways to do it.

576 likes this.
  11. WorldTeacher60

Thank you.
    I was employed at another local school a few days later so we are safe.
    It’s being informed by email that is the shocker.

12. WorldTeacher60

Thank you.

13. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

Brutal and inhumane. If educators behave this way, what are they teaching future generations in their care?

576 likes this.
  14. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

I have know this happen when the school was just a small part of a large corporation/company.

When a financial sqeeze came. There was simply a report for exit process part one email.

It is rather impersonal and lacks any compassion. Also the timing is inconsiderate but might not have been avoidable, who forsaw this apart from Obama and his advisors.

Covid will probably have shuffled many things about. Anyone still teaching at 60+ will experience a great deal of age discrimination.

15. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Unfortunately the good teachers are very good at protecting children from seeing the cracks and bad things so the future generations aren't always aware of everything.

lottee1000 likes this.
  16. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

I’m inclined to insist that many pupils are not naive. We teachers build relationships with them, and some of them would come to know how inhumanely these teachers have been laid off. What message does that send to these pupils? Not a good one in my opinion.

17. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

I guess it depends on where it is and the age of the children. Also, many international children might be used to moving around and changing teachers, friends and schools.
    Many of these children are so familiar with change that they don't bat an eyelid.

18. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

When will things get more stable in international schools do you think/hope?

19. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

Given that there are both health and economic factors at play, who knows? The virus isn't going away fast so travel and other restrictions will likely stay in place on and off. With the economic impacts, the school clientele may repatriate or pull children out due to expense. We are looking okay for now as most Hong Kong international schools rely on local parents and education is highly valued so people will spend money. Our school has a waiting list so places arising from withdrawals are being filled immediately. New staff have to be in quarantine for two weeks before they can even begin induction- what a **** way to start a new job!

20. gafleecey

gafleecey New commenter

Most international contracts wouldn't stand up in a cup of water

Interista likes this.