1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Made a mistake, not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Independent' started by pookyrobin, Apr 10, 2011.

1. You must visit the schools you are thinking of in the area. As a teacher you will be able to get a sense of a school and the teachers. Other than that you will have to do your research on them. Also look for an active PTA. If the parents think the school is wonderful, the chances are that they are more than willing to help it via the PTA. It is horrible to have a child in a school situation were you are worried about them. I really hope that you get it resovled as quickly as possible for all your sakes.

2. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Could you ask someone you trust from the prep attached to your school what to look out for? As a secondary teacher I have very clear ideas of how to find out what really goes on in a secondary school beyond the vulcano-building of the science lesson on open days, they must know for their field.
    Are the problems to do with the school or the fact that your son is too young? Have you tried talking to the headteacher? They must have come across that sort of scenario before. Is your son really unhappy or are you being too hard on yourself? He would always be tired by starting school, even if you'd waited another year. And for what it's worth, I don't think you really make mistakes with kids, they adapt to new situations quicker than adults.
    Hope you find a solution quickly! Fingers crossed!

3. boatmanco

boatmanco New commenter

I'm so sorry to hear that you think you have made a mistake for your son.
    I am a mum and a reception teacher and I moved both my children within their primary years. I moved them both into independent schools.
    My advice would be dont panic and dont rush the next move for your son. As he is young it may just be that he is not coping as he is very young for his year. However, only you know if that is the case. If you choose the prep school you mention you could consider starting him in Reception in September which may suit him better. You can do that in Prep schools.
    I would go and take a look at a few schools in your area to give you a feel for different schools. It may just be the school you have choosed does not suit your child. When parents ask me what to look for in a school I always say, go with your gut instinct. I would look for happily engaged children, polite and confident (and chatty) year 6 children, extras such as after school facilities, sport, clubs, gifted and talented,work on the wall etc etc
    I love teaching in an independent school as the classes are smaller and therefore I can give more attention to the children. This is what summer born children need -time and support from their teacher. It also allows me to really get to know each child -something that you say has not happened for your son -. If you plan to stay working at your school and you like the Prep school then i would send him there. Good luck!

4. Thank you for the advice and suggestions. We have considered very carefully and following some further information given by a teacher on this site we have decided to remove our son from the school and keep him at home until September. Since he is only four and a half there is no obligation to send him back to school after Easter. This should give us time to sort out another more suitable school.
    Thank you all for your suggestions. We are taking all under consideration.