1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Madam Gulliotine - the secretary of a catholic school.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by speechcompanyinfo, Jan 30, 2020.

1. speechcompanyinfo

speechcompanyinfo New commenter

I get all my information about Supply teaching in my part of the world when in the Health Club Ladies changing room. Wonderful stuff.
    There is a catholic secretary school that uses supply teachers a lot, and things will be going on fine, until suddenly there is a message "don't come back".
    Its not a bad school, and there's no issues with staff or kids, so every one is mystified.
    And yet, due to the Supply Slueths of the Health Club Ladies changing room, we've worked out that it is the SECRETARY of the school who is doing this.
    Crimes that get her all hotted up.
    1)Not wishing her good morning or good afternoon.
    2) Using her pen to sign in and handing it back without thanking her.
    3) Smiling.
    4) Being young
    5) Being unable to find the classroom and asking her where it is.. when she's already given you a map of the school. Be critical of her map, and you are OUT.

Whenever a new Supply lady goes "Hey, things were going great at the school, but suddenly BAM, I was out"... we go, "What did you say to the woman who sits at the front desk and hates you for your very existence?"
    "Um.. nothing..."
    "That's it... You didn't say Good morning, so she'll be complaining about you"

Oh how much would I love to name this character???

agathamorse and BetterNow like this.
  2. speechcompanyinfo

There is another one at a school on the Flintshire/Chester border. Same attitude. Same deal. Same results.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

There is one in Solihull too. Mussolini in knickers!

4. speechcompanyinfo

Ha ha that made me laugh.
    Well the Madam in our part of the world is in URMSTON

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Really, you should be polite and pleasant to everyone..

6. speechcompanyinfo

And state the bleedin obvious too... really..

7. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

1 and 2 you should do (though it surprises me that it has no electronic sign-in by now), 3 is beyond your control and should not be seen as a positive or a negative, 4 you should be doing anyway, 5 shouldn't be an issue if you ask politely. But then, Catholic schools have been known to reject a better teacher based on her (professed) faith. It seems wrong to me that taxpayers should have to fund a school which denies their child a place despite the fact she lives closer to the school than others, just because someone who lives 50 miles ago decided to get their child christened as an excuse for a party (often the family refused a place has actually been to church/worshipped/followed the 10 coms more than the family who 'got in'), but who am I to say? If it's a private school, I suppose it's a bit different. It surprises me that you heath club is full of supply teachers who have been there though, but good on you all for going :)

8. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

A lot of people in lowly positions exist in these schools who try to up their ego by snitching and tattling on people in order to get them in trouble. I've come across a lot of dinner ladies and non-teaching pastoral leaders like this.

MissGeorgi and donrickles like this.
  9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

If you think smiling a lot as a supply teacher in such a school is the secret, you are missing a trick.
    Biscuits.
    Take biscuits of sin and you'll be asked back every time. Make sure the school secretary gets the first pick, and not only will you be asked back, heck, they'll be letting you out early and nodding at you "yes of course it's fine, just claim for the whole day, bye bye now"

Watch out, mind. It's a fine balance between enough biscuits and having them sob on your shoulder with their life story who nobody has wanted to actually listen to for twenty six years.

10. danielis13

danielis13 New commenter

Went to a primary there 64 to 69 and then secondary in Flixton 69 to 74, seems funny reading the post!

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Flixton? That name rings a bell. wasn't there an explosion there sometime in the past? Possibly when you were at school there.

12. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

That was Flixborough ;). I was just about take my A levels when it happened

blazer likes this.
  13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Thanks, memory not what it was.

14. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

I have encountered one at a secondary school, not far from Urmston, who asked me why I was not on time, when I was informed the night before, I had politely explained that I was only asked that morning and I had done well to get there in an hour, considering I had to traverse the M60 at peak time. She pulled her face, like somebody had let wind go, rather then apologise and thank me for my efforts.