1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mad Maths Day

Discussion in 'Primary' started by analouise50, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Hi, I have a year one class who love maths. I have decided to dedicated a whole day to 'mad maths' with lots of practicle maths tasks. I have several ideas for measuring and estimating, and have a few games for number work, but really want to do something different and exciting for number work, adding, multiplication, odd numbers, et, that the children really enjoy??

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I cut up a hundred square into odd sections and asked my class if they could put it back together
    also sections of a hundred square with missing numbers
    [​IMG]
    Simple Sudoku
    [​IMG]

3. Have a good look at the nrich site, enough there to keep even the most avid maths fan busy!

4. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I agree NRich is a wonderful resource, and I like the idea of 100-square jigsaws too.
    I also wouldn't pass up the opportunity to do a little maths treasure hunt - each clue's answer leads to the next one, etc.I can give more details if you want but it's pretty simple (and effective).

5. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

If you want to have fun teaching multiplication to Year 1, you absolutely MUSt download Timez Attack. It's a free game that is not only excellent for teaching times tables but will give you something you can use as a reward activity for months!
    Seriously. Download it. They'll love it.