1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mackrel ideas

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by RW369, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Does anyone have any good ideas for what to do with mackrel. Mr RW brought back some whole fish yesterday (gutted and heads and tails removed but still full of bones) and I don't really know what to do with it.
    Any suggestions?

2. Hi,
    Does anyone have any good ideas for what to do with mackrel. Mr RW brought back some whole fish yesterday (gutted and heads and tails removed but still full of bones) and I don't really know what to do with it.
    Any suggestions?

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I'd keep things simple.....
    Coat the mackerel with a little mustard (I like the grainy sort) and grill it until cooked.
    Serve with a potato-salad (try potatoes, apple and pickled onion with a vinigraitte dressing) and a green salad. Green bean salad (yum!!!) goes well too.
    If you have gooseberries they work really well with mackerel....just lightly poach the gooseberries in water, mash them to a puree, sweeten lightly (you want the gooseberries to be sharp to cut the richness of the mackerel) and add a little salt/pepper to taste.

4. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Stuff with a stuffing of breadcrumbs, shallot/red onion and orange or lemon zest all held together with juice from your orange or lemon. Add herbs if you have any. Bake or grill.

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I'm hoping to pick a couple up tomorrow...
    Agree that simple is best, especially with spankingly fresh mackerel. I always think you can't beat cooking them over hot coals, and the cold weather shouldn't be a reason not to fire up the barbecue!
    I like to dredge the mackerel with sea salt and leave them for half an hour to an hour, which firms the flesh up, and then rub lightly with oil and grill over fiercely hot coals until golden/charred outside and juicily pink inside. The excess salt just falls off when cooking. Eat with nothing more than lemon, good bread and salad.
    I truly think there's nothing like the smell of char-grilled mackerel...although it's better if the smell stays outdoors! I expect this is what we'll do tomorrow, and I don't care if the neighbours think we're mad having a barbecue in January.
    Otherwise, marinade briefly with chopped garlic, thyme leaves and black pepper and bake in a hot oven until the flesh flakes off easily.
    I love mackerel.

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Delia does it stuffed with mash mixed with pesto wtih breadcrumbs on top. That has gone down well before.
    My favourite is griddled and served with a salad made from ribbons of cucumber with a vinigrette with lots of dill and half a tsp of sugar. Mmmmm!

7. I like it griddled and ooozing with butter and with lots of freshly grated black pepper over the top.
    Served with a fresh green salad and some baby potatoes with chives.
    There are about 1001 ways to eat makerel in Germany, but simple is still my fave.

8. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Slash the sides, slather with masala paste and grill.

9. Thanks everyone. Came down with flu so didn't get a chance to eat them - Mr RW grilled them and scoffed both mackerel himself. Will definitely try these ideas out though, they sound delicious and I'm quite disappointed I wasn't up to eating anything.