1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Macbeth in Arabic

Discussion in 'English' started by Navygal, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Navygal

Navygal New commenter

Morning All,

I have recently acquired an EAL student. He speaks fairly good English and as far as I can tell his understanding is good too. We are currently studying Macbeth and due to the difficult language I am trying to find him an Arabic edition. We have managed to get one but it is not broken down into Acts and scenes (??).
    What I'm looking for is an English/Arabic edition - I've seen one on Amazon but it's out of stock and they don't know when they will be getting more. So, can anyone point me in the direction of where to find one please?

He currently has the edition we work from, a graphic novel, aa key stage 3 workbook (we are yr10) and his Arabic edition and ithink he may be feeling overwhelmed!
    Many Thanks.

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

If his understanding is good, why not just give him the No Fear Shakespeare version? I've had really low-level EAL in my classes, and they've managed with the usual scaffolding including previewing / understanding the plot before touching the play itself, and watching the Animated Tales version (original language but shorter).
    Is this for GCSE?

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Better to have a version with a very good glossary, so he can translate the original text himself.

I am teaching Romeo & Juliet at an international school - all students are locals - we use the version specified in the Edexcel iGCSE Lit spec, which has a great glossary. Look at that spec to see which version of Macbeth they endorse, and try that one.