1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

macaroni cheese

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by inky, Nov 11, 2011.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'e just been irritated by a food article in the London Evening Standard. Apparently, macaroni cheese dead trendy at the moment] is a recent American import and shouldn't be considered real British comfort food.

2. Recent import? What? I remember my mother making it 50 years ago. Anyway, I have a feeling the Americans don't make it the same way we do - I think they just stir cheese into the pasta, no sauce. I'm away to look it up.

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I never liked macaroni, no idea why, memories of slimy school macaroni cheese. But conchiglie or fusilli in cheese sauce is heaven!

4. Chez cosmos, the macaroni bit can, in fact, be any kind of pasta - I particularly like rigatoni. Now that I think about it, it is seldom macaroni!

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Have an American friend who doesn't even make a cheese sauce for her macaroni - she boils pasta, drains adds grated cheese, 3 eggs, combines and bakes. [​IMG]

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I've always considered it American in origin. It may have existed here for a hundred years or more, but I'm pretty sure it's existed in America for longer.
    I'd imagine its early origins are possibly Swiss, anyway.
    Does it really matter?
    Interesting that we consider so many dishes to be ours. Such as fish and chips, rice pudding etc. Neither of those are originally British, for starters.

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

The Americans serve macci cheese as a side dish, rather like we serves spuds. We eat maccie cheese as a main meal.
    Whatever, there was a thread on here discussing whether to add tomatoes, bacon whatever, and as usual we foodies all have our own ideas!
    Yummy anyway.

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I think this is a good point. Many of our traditional 'British' foods have their origins outside Britain, not least where ingredients that aren't native to Britain are concerned (such as pasta, rice, spices etc), obviously as a result of thousands of years of both being invaded and invading elsewhere, but what's important is that we've put our own 'stamp' on them, as they've become modified over the decades or centuries and integral to our own cultures.
    It doesn't matter that macaroni cheese, rice pudding, fish & chips, roast chicken and even our beloved cup of tea aren't British in origin: what matters is that we've adopted them and consider our versions of them to be as British as the breakfast fry-up, bangers and mash, haggis and faggots - a list to which we can also add spaghetti bolognese and chicken tikka masala!

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

What irritated me in the article was the suggestion that macaroni cheese was only to be found here because it was a trendy new American import. Of course much of our foodstuffs and recipes originated abroad. We'd be in a poor way without them!