1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MA TESOL Dissertation help

Discussion in 'EAL' started by iraamm97, Jul 8, 2019.

1. iraamm97

iraamm97 New commenter

Hi,

I am currently in the process of collecting data for my dissertation and was looking for English language teachers to participate in the research by filling out my online questionnaire.
    The topic is to do with teaching methodologies.

The link to the questionnaire is - https://cardiffmet.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_71VG9VlnFjc2iPz
    It will take no longer than 10 minutes.

Thank you!

2. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

I started on the questionnaire.

iraamm97 likes this.
  3. iraamm97

iraamm97 New commenter

Thank you so much!

4. christine_liley865

christine_liley865 New commenter

I will do your quesionnaire, but to be honest I made some of my MA research results up (years ago). That MA is no walk in the park. I am expert at Linguisitcs , if you get stuck.

5. iraamm97

iraamm97 New commenter

Thank you! I really appreciate it.
    The research is quite hard to collect due to a high volume of participants needed.

6. christine_liley865

Questionnaire completed.

7. lardprao

lardprao New commenter

Really???

8. christine_liley865

Well, mine was in Applied Linguistics, but if you are doing an MA/MSC, then surely you want to come out of it knowing everything or what is the point of doing it? Learn it all, inside out. Everyone is arguing about false cognates - you can add something greater and better.

9. christine_liley865

In Czech, the word room is two words:pokoj, místnost

The semantic field is a set of lexemes that are related in meaning.

The Japanese word, カンニングsounds like‘cunning’ in English, but it it means ‘cheating in an exam’ inJapanese.

The two words sound similar, but they have different meanings and are commonly known as false friends or perhaps false cognates (different theorists have different opinions about the term false cognates, but they are present in English or loan words). To complicate matters further, the semantic fields for cunning and カンニングare obviously different, due to the different meanings of the two words.

1.Cunningk/ʌnɪŋ/Lexeme sets (variants) : clever, smart, intelligent, devious, etc.

2.カンニング (kanningu) Lexeme sets (variants): tricking, fraud, fake, pretending.

Therefore, it is important that teachers are aware of semantic field differences and that students are also made aware that if two words sound similar, the meaning might be different and probably will be different.

Christine Liley