1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MA study is it worth it

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by optimistic1, Jul 21, 2011.

1. optimistic1

optimistic1 New commenter

Can anyone tell me the benefits of doing a MA if you are in your second year in teaching secondary education? Does it effect your pay scale or employment opportunities?

2. Dodros

Dodros Established commenter

If you are considering doing an MA solely for pay scale or employment opportunities, then don't bother. Volunteer instead for extra duties within your school and hone your classroom skills.
    I did a part-time MA in German while I taught full-time in my secondary school, spending one evening a week in a university classroom alongside other knackered teachers. I'm glad I completed this two year higher degree course because it gave me immense personal satisfaction, gave my brain a workout and maintained my subject knowledge at a high level. It didn't make one iota of difference in terms of remuneration or career advancement, though, but there again, that wasn't why I sought the qualification in the first place.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Does it affect your pay scale - absolutely not.
    Does it affect your employment opportunities? Only in that you might learn from it in ways which make you a better teacher.

4. I do not htink having a higher degree makes any difference in a positive sense. There is an old maxim that is not a good idea to be more highly qualified than your (potential) boss. There might have been a time when having a Ph.D might have been a slight advantage, as schools thought that this might impress parents, if they ever read the school staff list.
    Never use an academic titile! It can lead to some strange situations at parents' evenings, as it is assumed that you are a medical man. Years ago, sympathetic Heads might have asked you, in confidence, as to why you had been 'struck off'.

5. Forgot to mention that, for an NQT there might be some advantage to going onto do some sort of higher degree, as this was Govt policy at one time, although whether funding is now available, I rather doubt. I suggest that, due to the proliferation of degree level education, having a degree is degenerating to the status it confers in the United States: very little. A first degree is becoming just that, just a stepping stone to the expected 'masters'.