1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ma last post... :(

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by WeeScabbyDug, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

{{{{MoC}}}} and Scabby, I do hope you realise how much joy and laughter you brought to us weird internet folk.

xxx

2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Thinking of you today. Xxx

bevdex, Jesmond12 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

Thank you to each and everyone of you. I read your messages yesterday (more than once) and bawled my eyes out.

The pain relief and the anti-nausea have made a difference. Saturday morning i was having to syringe water onto his tongue as he was completely comatose, and we carried him into the vet using his bed as a stretcher as he couldn't stand up. The drugs the vet gave him knocked him out for the rest of the day, but remarkably, yesterday, he became more alert and managed to eat. He wobbled outside and flopped on the grass, so we had some lovely cuddles in the sun. He's alert and interested in food again this morning, tho' very unsteady on his feet. Partner wants to give him another day or two so that can take him to the beach.
    xxx

4. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

A treaty dug lunch on the beach would probably meet with Scabbie's approval, I'm sure. xxx

5. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I'm glad he's perked up ever so slightly. One last special trip to the beach would be lovely for you all, if he can manage it. Xxxx

6. gargs

gargs Star commenter

So sorry to read this MoC. It must be so difficult to decide when the right time is. Scabby was lucky to find his forever home with you and FoC - his life couldn't have been better. Sending you hugs and raising a glass to Scabby xx

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sounds good- even if he has to be carried there and can 'just sniff the salt air'. :D

8. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Sounds like a good idea if he is well enough to enjoy a few last treats. It might help you both too if you can do small things to give him some final joy.
    Hugs ((((((((( MoC ))))))))))

9. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

That’s sounds a lovely plan, if you’re all up to it. As Lara says, even if it’s just to sniff the air.

(((Scabbydug)))
    (((MoC)))

10. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

So sorry to read this thread MoC. The ginnies haven't been on here for such a long time so they couldn't let me know.
    Tis the passing of an era - we will not see his like again.

Much love.

11. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

There was a recent story on the BBC website about a dog’s last visit to the beach. Word got around and there were over 40 dogs that accompanied the owner and her beloved dog.

I hope Scabbydug can make it and if so let us know the time so that we can be there with you in spirit to provide you with love and support.

12. Motherofchikkins

Thank you everyone. I've come home from work (where boss said I was looking a bit sad, and I burst into tears ) and Scabby is unbelievably padding around the lounge room looking not much worse than usual given his arthritis and blindness.

When we took him to the vet on Saturday, he was comatose, not sleeping, but lying still with his eyes wide open and was unable to stand up. He'd barely eaten the day before , was refusing to even eat 'chikkin' and hadn't peed for at least 12-13 hours. I was syringing water onto his tongue. We had to carry him into the vet on his bed as he couldn't stand up.

The vet showed us the xrays. He has a large mass in his abdomen. It's pressing on his organs. The vet says given his age, it's probably inadvisable to operate, and that we should bring him back Monday or Tuesday and humanely put him to sleep. She gives him hefty doses of painkiller, and he's asleep for the rest of Saturday, and a bit more alert on Sunday.

And now he's walking around - a bit unsteady, and sitting down suddenly, with his rear half splayed awkwardly, but still alert. OH thinks he's 'maybe not so bad' as he now actually doesn't look as if he's at the absolute end, tho' it is.

I've said to partner that we'll take him to the beach on Wednesday, and then the vet, and if the vet says that to prolong his life is really not in his best interests, even tho' he does seem a bit perkier, than we will go with that decision. Partner thinks that if he can carry on a bit longer with more pain killers... it's fekkin' tortuous. I'm ready to let the poor boy go, if it's for the best. Partner isn't.

I am so, so, so sorry to all of you. I really didn't mean this to turn into a saga. I just wanted to let him say goodbye as he's been a part of TES and my TES life for probably 10 year now. xxx

13. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I'm sure the vet will give you the best advice MoC and you should be guided by him.

Take care. Sending you hugs. (((((((((( MoC )))))))))) xxx

14. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Wot marlin said.
    Thank you for sharing.

15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

When we were making this worst decision for Que, a number of people I spoke to regretted delaying. You do what feels right Annie. Another trip to the beach would be his best last day. I still remember Que's last little run around the field fondly xx

16. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

We had similar with our last dog. Because he had a tumour in his throat and was still quite mobile Mr L refused to let the vet take care of him. He found it difficult to swallow and I thought we should have gone much earlier to the vets, but Mr L disagreed, having had to do it for both the previous 2 dogs- all had tumours. So it wasn't until the back legs went completely that Mr L agreed.

Mind you we did have that last holiday in Wales, a few weeks before and although not able to have the energy to do any walking, he was quite happy to stay in the car whilst we walked and he'd always enjoyed those holidays, so he had a 'last holiday'. :)

17. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Oh ((((((((((MoC)))))))))) I've only just seen this thread. I'm so sorry.
    Sending you huge hugs. He has been a great part of my TES life too.
    XXX

18. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

You do what feels right MoC. What the vet says may guide your decision, but you know him best. I think Bombay is right too, that people understandably want to keep their pets with them for as long as possible, but it isn’t always the right thing.

You’ll do the right thing for you and him.

19. josienig

josienig Lead commenter

20. Motherofchikkins

Thank you. We still have him here. Vet was fairly gobsmacked to see him standing today. It's possible he's had a mini stroke. She said he's a different dog to the almost comatose one she saw on Saturday. We're now just on a watch and wait over the next few days to a week. She felt his abdomen again and he clearly didn't like it, and there is a large mass in there, but she didn't advise us putting him to sleep today, but to just watch him over the next few days and gauge his quality of life. Whether he's having more good days than bad. He's wolfing down the gourmet chikkin soup, and back to padding around the kitchen in the hope we've dropped food, so clearly still has an appetite. Vet said that he comes from two very tough dog breeds and that's why we still have him. That's my boy x