1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

MA in UK to move to US?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ToniFernandez, Nov 29, 2018.

  1. ToniFernandez

    ToniFernandez New commenter

    HI there,

    Thank you very much for reading. I've looked for this question through the web but couldn't find a concrete answer. I'm considering moving to the US and I've seen that having an MA in Education is very appreciated and could make it easier finding a job (I know there aren't any guarantees tho)

    So my questions is: An MA in the UK would be valid/equivalent as an MA in the US? Is there anything I need to consider, or is there any US institution that would check UK degrees and its equivalence in the US (I guess like Naric in the UK)

    Any info is very much appreciated,

    Thank you very much!
  2. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    Each state in the US is different. Many don't recognise the qualifications from other states and require "teachers" to complete further qualifications. Then you will have the problem of obtaining a work visa. Check out the education department of the state you are interested in and read up on what they require home grown teachers to complete and then what they require from overseas trained teachers.
  3. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    a PGCE is a level 7 qualification and equivalent to an MA, see here
  4. Karvol

    Karvol Occasional commenter

    Only as far as that framework is concerned. In the real world - and in applying for jobs - a PGCE is a professional qualification whereas an MA is evidence of continued learning (for whatever it is worth). A PGCE will seldom (never?) be accepted as a subsitute for an MA in teaching.
  5. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    You are probably right, but i had a friend working at an American international school, and there was a large stipend associated with having a "masters". He got an equivalency certificate for his PGCE to say it was the same as a masters, and he got the pay increase. Cant see why it wouldnt work the other way
  6. Karvol

    Karvol Occasional commenter

    10/10 for trying!

    I genuinely cannot see any school in Europe accepting a PGCE as having the equivalency of an MA. Perhaps I am wrong, but it hasn't been my experience.

    That said, I have known of schools in the Middle East accepting the Oxbridge freebie MA as a Masters, whereas that wouldn't pass muster in a school in the UK.
  7. miketribe

    miketribe Occasional commenter

    Ummmm... Sorry to agree with dumbbells, but my school accepted my PGCE as equivalent to an MA. I do have an American MA as well and really the standard was about equivalent...
  8. miketribe

    miketribe Occasional commenter

    I had the same experience here in Madrid back when we had a salary scale that recognised anything like that...
  9. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    My friend was in europe too, and from what i remember they were happy to accept the link i provided. He went the next step and got the equivalency cert from America for the future
  10. Karvol

    Karvol Occasional commenter

    I have no problem with it(!) and it is great for whoever manages it. All I am saying is that, in my experience, it hasn't worked in any school that I have taught in (as far as I am aware).
  11. Helen-Back

    Helen-Back Occasional commenter

    So, in the UK you can do a three year degree + a PGCE and be considered to have masters level. In the country I trained you need a four year degree to get accepted onto a B.Ed.. The B.Ed. is another two years squashed into one. Only after that can you get into a masters program.
  12. miketribe

    miketribe Occasional commenter

    It's really apples and oranges. English BAs are usually three-year courses, after which you apply to do a PGCE, which is one more year. In Scotland, courses are usually 4 years but you get an MA at the end of them, not a BA.... Most of the rest of the world, as I understand it, have four-year BA courses. On the other hand, most American/Canadian BA courses are very general during the first two years...
  13. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    Yeah, it's probably due to the fact that you don't do majors, minors and electives in the UK. Your entire 3 years is spend doing your subject
  14. Mickyd197se

    Mickyd197se Occasional commenter

    Whatever the link says, people don't generally consider an MA/MEd to be the same as a PGCE. One is a research degree and the other is certification to teach. Fair play to those that get extra cash from their schools for making the argument, but that wouldn't work in most places I'd suggest. I suppose it's equivalent in that it's a postgrad course, but they're hardly similar after that.

    A PGCE is the requirement for UK teachers in international schools, so why would they pay extra for it? At my school (and previous) we receive extra as we have Master's degrees, not for the PGCE. We don't get paid extra for being a certified teacher as that is the minimum requirement.
  15. miketribe

    miketribe Occasional commenter

    1. A PGCE is hardly a "minimum requirement"... A cursory glance through this forum will show any number of posts about the best way to get a PGCE whilst teaching abroad.
    2. To what extent are MAs REALLY "research degrees"? Many (most?) US university MAs in education have very little in the way of a research component. Most of the 30 credits needed come from taught courses...
  16. Mickyd197se

    Mickyd197se Occasional commenter

    1. It is in any good school. They all work at average at best schools who will let anyone into a classroom. You need pgce + 2 years experience minimum at a ny place with standards.
    2. Whatever, U think that an MA is not a teaching cert and I'm sure that a PGCE is not that same as a Master's at most schools. If it was, I wouldn't have bothered getting one so that I could get onto the Master's salary scale!

    If I am wrong about that second part then fair enough!
  17. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    The british government considers it the same;)

    An awful lot of international schools will give a stipend for having a "masters". What they mean is an American masters. As has been outlined above, most american degrees are general studies for 2 years. This is their basic requiement for teaching in the good old US or A. To prgress up the pay scale in america they require a "masters". This is what we would consider as a basic requirement to teach. Now you can throw all your toys out of the pram saying how much more your masters is worth, but what you are describing, americans would consider a double masters. Some schools would give you even more money for that.

    If the british government considers a PGCE the same as a Masters, thats good enough for me
  18. Mickyd197se

    Mickyd197se Occasional commenter

    Yeah, we know. There was a link and everything. We got past that a while ago.
  19. Mickyd197se

    Mickyd197se Occasional commenter

    Why would I throw my "toys out of the pram" over a discussion on a message board? It's all been perfectly civil. I even said "If I am wrong about that second part then fair enough!" Have you been drinking or something?
  20. Mickyd197se

    Mickyd197se Occasional commenter

    I've obviously been unlucky in my international schools as they've never given an extra stipend for having a PGCE! The first two schools were British and considered a PGCE mandatory anyway. The latter two are more American-focused and they demanded an MA/MEd/MSc to go onto the Master's salary scale.

    Those are my experiences. If those of others are different, then as I said "fair enough" if my experience has not been the norm. I teach at the moment in a big American school in SE Asia. Their sister schools don't put teachers on the master's salary scale either for possessing a PGCE.

    As I said, fair play to those that got extra for holding a PGCE. I bloody well wish mine had so well done to them!

Share This Page