1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MA in SEN? Can anyone advise?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by gemmamarie08, Apr 5, 2012.

1. gemmamarie08

gemmamarie08 New commenter

Hi All,
    I'm after a bit of advice [​IMG] I work in education and have QTS. Some of my work involves working with pupils who have SEN and I'm fortunate to work with pupils across the full age range.
    I am keen to work in SEN more fully in the future (looking at special school vacancies) and along side my current experiences I'm looking into possibly starting an MA in Inlcusive Education and SEN. (You can leave with a PGCert or PGDip if you wish)
    My question really is do you think this would be beneficial when applying for SEN posts in the future? (I'm very aware that it is your skills working with pupils with SEN that are most important but I'm looking at getting more knowledge to go with)
    The course looks really interesting and I have a genuine interest in this area of education but was hoping doing the qualification would also help me to secure a post [​IMG]
    Any advice/suggestions would be very gratefully received!

2. gemmamarie08

Hi All,
    I'm after a bit of advice [​IMG] I work in education and have QTS. Some of my work involves working with pupils who have SEN and I'm fortunate to work with pupils across the full age range.
    I am keen to work in SEN more fully in the future (looking at special school vacancies) and along side my current experiences I'm looking into possibly starting an MA in Inlcusive Education and SEN. (You can leave with a PGCert or PGDip if you wish)
    My question really is do you think this would be beneficial when applying for SEN posts in the future? (I'm very aware that it is your skills working with pupils with SEN that are most important but I'm looking at getting more knowledge to go with)
    The course looks really interesting and I have a genuine interest in this area of education but was hoping doing the qualification would also help me to secure a post [​IMG]
    Any advice/suggestions would be very gratefully received!

3. R13

R13 New commenter

It would be of help but as you say experience is what I would be looking for. At your stage of only looking to be getting into special schools I'd not view it as hugely advantageous for you.
    More practical courses - such as Makaton, TEACCH, PECS etc would be much preferable to me as an employer

4. I think that completing an MA shows your commitment and enthusiasm for SEN and related matters. It shows that you haven't just applied for any old job but really want to work with pupils with SEN. The contacts you will make on the course will be really useful - both for learning from them and also for when you come to look for a new post. My colleague in our special school has nearly completed her MA and has really enjoyed it. Learning the latest theories and practice in SEN and getting a really good understanding of different forms of SEN will help you in any teaching role and certainly would be good preparation for working in a special school.

5. morning star

morning star New commenter

I had been doing an MSc for a couple of terms when I had my interview for a special school and it certainly was of interest to them as it showed previous commitment but I doubt that it was the deciding factor in getting that first job.
    I found that working in a Special School made my experience of studying much more focused and meaningful - they supported each other. It might well be difficult to complete practice-focused assignments without access to an appropriate work situation.
    As Lenin said:
    "Practice without theory is blind. Theory without practice is sterile"
    I had also done some basic British Sign Language which helped as I was applying to work in a school where BSL signs were used in preference to Makaton.

6. bethije

bethije New commenter

I got into SEN by accident, whilst being HOD in another subject I was given some 1:1 lessons working on literacy with a dyslexic child as my subsidiary subject was English. I decided to follow a post grad course in teaching dylsexia and followed that up with a MEd in SEN.I think it certainly helped me secure my present job as I did not have extensive full time experience in SEN. (I now work in a mainstream school focusing full time on literacy and numeracy.) The units I chose were specifically for the direction I wanted to go e.g.dylsexia, assessment but it also gave me an insight to different areas I wasn't aware of from being in mainstream. It was a really interesting course and I definitely learnt a lot especially as my assignments were all work based. There are also courses out there which offer specific post grad qualifications-look at the autism.org website for example- which may be more relevant than a full masters. The advice I would give from my experience is choose things that will help secure a poition in the area you want. I know I had a huge advantage going into my interview being AMBDA registered as opposed to those interviewing against me. Hope you get the job you want - after 20 years teaching another subject I am now a full time SEN teacher and I love every second of my work

7. Are you talkng about the Middlesex Uni MA? I've just finished my first year on it and it has been a very rewarding experience and an excellent way to interrogate my own practice and improve as a practitioner.
    The work for all 3 years is rooted in your own setting and your own practice. Although you identify your own needs and look to improve your own knowledge and skills the expectation is that the impact of your studies and research will benefit your own school and, hopefully, wider (linked schools, feeder school etc).
    it isn't simply academic study. It has great day-to-day relevance. I'm sure it would be a good career move, not least because it's self-directed study (being a distance course).

8. tall tales

tall tales New commenter

I decided to move into SEN after teaching mainstream for years. Doing a Masters got me a great job and has helped me to do it well.

9. gemmamarie08

Thanks for all of your replies [​IMG] not been on here for a bit! I have decided to apply for the course and just need to sort out my referees (one asked and he said yes so just need to ask the other).
    So will keep fingers crossed I get an offer!

10. gemmamarie08

Thanks again for the replies - I have received an offer to do the course! Yay!

11. I hope you enjoy it. I'm sure you will.