1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MA in Education - worth it

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by anon874, May 15, 2011.

1. Hi
    Just wondering if anyone has any idea how an MA in Education might help to improve your career. Obviously the course providers think it will.... but they would ££££.

Thanks

2. Hi,
    Well I did an MAEd a few years back. I loved doing it so it was worthwhile on a personal level.But it also gave me the entrance qualifications to then do an MSc pyschology conversion course. Before all this, I was teaching MFL but now I teach psychology in a 6th form and I have also been given some teaching at my local university on a topic which links psychology and education. I am also writing a development of my dissertation for possible publication with my dissertation supervisor. I am much happier!!! Because soon every teacher will have a masters, I think anyone wanting career progression will have to get on board anyway. But you have to be committed. It's not easy- and that's part of the satisfaction- but you can't do it, especially if you're working as well, unless you really, really want to do it because it might not turn into £sd in terms of promotion, although it can't do your chances any harm. You will however gain so much from it in other ways.

3. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

In the early stages of my teaching career I studied part time for an MA in German and an MEd in comparative education, both of which I achieved and both of which I paid for entirely out of my own pocket. I took these courses to give my brain muscles a workout, not for career advancement reasons. As it turned out, I enjoyed the intellectual stimulus very much that advanced study provides, but I can honestly say that neither qualification made one iota of difference career-wise. Do a Masters for your own personal fulfilment, not because you expect a raise in salary to follow automatically. Promotion panels are much more likely to pay due regard to candidates' classroom performance and willingness to take on additional voluntary responsibility rather than be influenced by paper credentials.