1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MA hypothesis?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Middlemarch, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I think you need to give us the ideas you've been considering and then people can respond to them with advice.
    It's not a good plan to ask an open question which suggests you don't really have any ideas, because at MA level you really must develop your own.
    Jot down some suggested titles, put them on here and wait for reactions.

2. Jenkibubble

Jenkibubble Occasional commenter

The two possibilities which I have come up with so far are as follows:
    How does the FS encourage Physical and Motor Development
    How does play encourage Physical and Motor Development
    Thank you

3. I think the general FS one would be too broad for MA level, during my MA they preferred us to do look at something specific in a lot of depth.

The play one sounds interesting, although I'm not sure if you will have much original work to do - I am doing a secondary PGCE, but when I visited a primary they said that learning through play was really popular for FS, so presumably a lot of work has already been done on it? However, that would mean you have a shed load of literature to read and use as evidence. Perhaps you can test a couple theories relating to play & motor skills out (I'm presuming there are some!) and come up with your own assessment of the theories. Although, again not sure if this is really MA level work...

:)

4. I was told when I did my MA Dissertation to start with a broad idea e.g. physical and motor development, then narrow it down again and again e.g. physical and motor development of girls, then physical and motor development of girls during pe, then physical and motor development of girls during gymnastics activities in pe compared to boys (just an example but you get the idea). You want it as narrow as possible, otherwise actually researching and testing it is going to be really difficult. When you come to write it up, you can do the same, discuss the broader aspects and the previous research out there, then narrow it down.