1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MA Education

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by Mrbrightside83, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Hi,

I want to do the MA education course within the next few years,

Does anyone know or have any ideas how the uni fee rise will effect this course?

Thanks

2. Hi,

I want to do the MA education course within the next few years,

Does anyone know or have any ideas how the uni fee rise will effect this course?

Thanks

3. Wanderer007

Wanderer007 New commenter

As far as I'm aware, any rises in tuition fees would kick in from September 2012, so you have enough time for an application for September 2011 at current levels! Good luck [​IMG]

4. Hi thanks for this , I have been in touch with my local Uni and that is the jest of what they said,

5. It may also benefit you to look at different unions, exam boards etc as they often have partnerships with some Universities. I have just enrolled at Edge Hill Uni for the accreditation route for their MA IN SEBD and it won't cost me a penny until my final year and even then that will be discounted as AQA have a partnership which allows you to get free credits and cheaper reductions etc...ATL also gets you the first 2 years for free too so worth shopping about...see if your LA have any incentive schemes and so on...

6. Wanderer007

Some encouraging signs about fees for postgraduate courses from September 2012, from Durham. Hopefully other universities will make similar commitments!
    http://www.dur.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/fees/
    Some students have been concerned about the possibility of significant increases in postgraduate fees for 2012/13
    in response to the reduction in the Government subsidy of fees for UK
    undergraduates. We would like to reassure applicants to our courses.

The levels of postgraduate fees are not regulated by the UK Government
    and the recent decisions on undergraduate fees do not apply to
    postgraduate fees either for UK or non-UK students. Postgraduate fees
    have always been independently set by Durham University.

Postgraduate fees are reviewed annually. At Durham University there is
    no expectation that there will be any significant increase in
    postgraduate fees (Masters or PhD) in 2012/13 other than to reflect any
    cost inflation.

7. I am thinking about applying to Edge Hill Uni for the MA in Education - Early Childhood. Any advice or tips you could give me? I am working overseas so will have to do bulk online and "top up" on trips to England - that's the "grand plan" anyway... fingers crossed.

8. k1tsun3

k1tsun3 New commenter

Does anyone know how likely a school would be to accommodate one full day off per week to complete a masters part-time?

9. It may be worth approaching your Head.

Does an MA qualification mean more salary?

10. An MA doesn't usually mean more salary but it does show commitment to your own development which can help, especially when moving on to a new job.

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If you did it unpaid, your head might be willing - if they could find good enough cover for the fifth day.
    But don't hold your breath for a day off per week paid.

12. Wanderer007

I agree, It'll be a tricky one... I approached my head a few years ago to reduce my contracted hours to complete my M.Ed part-time, and was refused... so I quit and found a more accomodating school. It's always useful to consider the different outcomes from your talk with the head and have thought through the the next steps in your own professional development. I completed my M.Ed in a supportive school and my loyalty has come with it. It's in the interests of your current school to have most of a good teacher looking to improve professionally rather than have a vacancy and/ or long term cover. Good luck