1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MA dissertation SEN

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sarahbeth82, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Hi.
    I'm a SEN teacher and I'm trying to find a specific area to do my dissertation on. I want it to be around SEN but other than that my mind is completely blank. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. Hi.
    I'm a SEN teacher and I'm trying to find a specific area to do my dissertation on. I want it to be around SEN but other than that my mind is completely blank. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Think harder.

4. If you dont have anything useful to say why waste your time and mine?

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

It was useful and a very good idea. I say it as somebody involved in
    Higher Education. Part of a dissertation at Postgraduate level is
    taking the time to formulate research questions yourself. The outcome
    will be much more enriching and engaging for you. It is lazy to just say
    "I want it to be about SEN. I don't have any ideas. Give me ideas." If
    you truly have no ideas, then I question whether a) you should be doing
    an MA b) whether you truly want to do a dissertation on SEN.
    In fairness, and to be frank, I don't see that you had anything useful to say in the OP. You don't even indicate the type of research you are equipped/wanting to do. Theory based. Practice based. Empirical. Involving qualitative interviews conducted in person/on-line.
    If
    you want more of my useful advice: 1) Come to people with at least some framework
    of an idea. People can then help to test it/challenge it/improve
    it/comment upon it. This it similar to presenting at a conference. The
    speakers do not just say "I want to write a paper on X, give me ideas". They propose issues to be debated. 2) Read some up-to-date journal articles in the field. This will help you to form an idea.

Finally, if somebody gives you advice that you don't like, it doesn't mean they are wasting either person's time. My advice to go away and think some more is still the best advice that could/should be given.

6. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

If you need to get ideas for a MA dissertation from strangers on an internet forum when, to be blunt about it, any MA course worth a damn would have furnished you with plenty of ideas then you have problems.
    Now, why don't you go back to your course lecturers and ask them for some ideas? Or will they feel that you don't have anything useful to say and are just wasting their time?

7. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

I have to say that Karvol has summed up the situation.
    When I did my masters I had a few ideas in my head about things that I wanted to know/learn more about that would help my pupils. I would try to think along those lines and then discuss your thoughts with your tutor and some colleagues.

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

If I was doing this, I would be starting off by thinking about difficulties that I have encountered where research might be able to provide a solution. I might also consider areas where my school has difficulties.
    I would then be talking to colleagues - particularly those who would have a constructive and knowledgeablle input - you know who they are. I would also be talking to the MA tutors saying "I want to do somethhing about boys literacy and GCSE science" and seeing what they come up with.
    I have to say that although the posters above seemed a little blunt, I can appreciate where they come from. If you do not have the drive to research something, it may well be difficult.
    Best wishes,
    P

9. It should be something useful to you - and go some way to solving a problem or researching a new idea that you want to try out. I suggest an action research approach it works really well in education, but as far as ideas go you are on your own - it's a bit like asking other people what you want to eat for your dinner.