1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

M4 for temp NQT post - will I be too expensive afterwards?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by aegilopoides, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm an NQT and I have just been offered a temporary contract (2 terms). The salary they have offered is M4. This is much more than I was expecting. Will I find it difficult to find a post afterwards as I'll be more expensive than most other NQT's?
    Thanks.

2. Why are they offering M4?!! Take it if that is what they want to pay you (although they may have made a mistake and correct it later) but expect your next post to pay you the point you should be on, i.e. M2 next year if you have done your NQT year.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

You'll find it difficult anyway. Take it and save whatever money you can. x

4. I have 10 years experience prior to my PGCE which they have taken into account. I expected them to offer M2 at best so was taken aback when I saw this. I'd love to say yes to M4 but I'm worried that I'll find it difficult to get something else afterwards. Thanks for your reply.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The critical figure is 26 weeks as once you have been employed by a school or LA for that period then progression up the scale is automatic. Its difficult landing an NQT post and you need to be careful about pricing yourself out of the market in future.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The dilemma is no different from a teacher with 4 years' experience, who started on M1, wanting to move to another school.
    I'd love to see the Unions campaigning for a return to the old system for paying tecahers. Schools managed the budget for education materials only and the LA picked up the tab for all staffing costs.
    A Head was informed, based on the number of pupils, how many teachers, assistants and welfare staff the school required. The Head and governors could then select the best person at interview, without even needing to know where they were on the payscale, and the LA honoured their pay.
    My father (a Headteacher who retired 30 years ago) was recently wondering why schools were pleading poverty when the Nursery school where my sister teaches gets more per pupil than he used to get for his entire Infant and Junior school. I pointed out that his allowance only had to cover books, chalk etc whilst schools now have to pay wages out of the money and need more support staff as, through Inclusion, they now have more 'labour intensive' pupils to educate.

7. Oh well definitely take it at M4 then! I wouldn't worry about the future too much - you would be in the same position anyway 4 years down the line if you started on M1. For your next post look for responsibility points. Enjoy the extra cash!

8. Hi, it is good for you, especially as a so called cover for 2 terms. I was on M3 last year when an NQT, so it is up to the head if they think you are worth it. There is a flip side though - they might expect you to hold your M4 salary by doing <u>exactly</u> what they ask of you - I know I've been there. The SMT will control you.