1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

M3 to UPS1 jump?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by katylou1, Sep 29, 2020.

1. katylou1

katylou1 New commenter

Hi all

With appraisals upcoming my school posted their pay policy which states:
    Theoretically, any qualified teacher can apply for UPS

I am currently on M3 (will be M4 this year) and interested in applying. I have had the best GCSE results for the past two years (+0.67 and +1.11). A level results this year was +0.44. I am also;
    • Primary SLE
    • SCITT mentor
    • SCITT subject moderator
    • Disadvantaged rep for the department
    Last two observations were outstanding with the vice principal saying I am ‘one of the best teachers in the school’.

Do I have a case for UPS?? I know it’s early but I do so much with no extra TLR. Advice appreciated!

Katy

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Sounds unlikely to me, but you can only find out by asking.

3. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

I know someone that had A Level results of +0.67 (and positive GCSE results) and failed their appraisal because their teaching apparently wasn’t good enough.

4. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

Also, you say the A Level results were ‘this year’ – so that’s centre assessed grades, rather than any external checks?

The DfE’s guidance says not to use student outcomes in this year’s appraisal reviews.

5. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

In my experience, most schools will find reasons NOT to put you up the payscale. I have never heard of someone making such a big jump within applying for a new role, like SLT. But worth a shot! Good luck.

6. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

If I am being honest, this statement in your school policy seems to be aimed at the hypothetical perfect teacher so the school had some leeway to allow for much more rapid progression. In reality, your school will be reluctant to allow someone not at the top of the pay scale to jump to that point simply as it would encourage lots of others (with the potential associated costs).

Your first step should be to talk to your Head / friendly SLT member, to see if anyone else at your school has been allowed such rapid progression, and then talk to that person to see what they were doing which gave evidence for such a jump.

7. littledragon25

littledragon25 New commenter

Look at the post threshold standards. Do you have evidence that you meet each? Does that evidence span 2 years to prove that it is a sustained effort? Have you had an impact on the progress of pupils outside your own classroom in any way? If not, you're not ready. If you can say yes to each standard and evidence it though, you can apply. There's no harm in it. But they'll likely say no. And don't forget that 2020 data can't be used for UPS applications because of the CAGs. So you'd need to rely on your historic data.

8. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

You’ve opted to do all of that.

results- can’t say anything. But the responsibility you suggest are not on their own significant- no.