1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

M2 to M3 after NQT?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by SarLouW, May 23, 2018.

1. SarLouW

SarLouW New commenter

Hi everyone,

I started my NQT on M2 due to previous experience. This was something that was offered to me, without haggling for it. My question is, does my NQT year count as a performance review and therefore if deemed all successful all the way through, should mean that I go up to M3 automatically, or will I need to wait until my 2018-19 PR to progress on the pay scale?

Many Thanks,

Miss W

P.S. Is M3 something that I could haggle for as I am the only art teacher in the school and as it is a newer school, it had no art department, which I had to establish and stock and manage myself?

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

will all depend on what your school pay policy says - speak to your in school union rep or the person in charge of PM

border_walker and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. Sanz1981

Sanz1981 Occasional commenter

It's 'art' you'll be lucky if they've offered m2 next year

Picasso would've failed his gcse with his work...right. Subjective marking.

Out of curiousity, how do you differentiate?

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

There should be something in the school Pay/Performance/Appraisal Policy that allows for a fast-track up the scale. Suggest you read that first.

Even if it does exist it's a different matter to get it though. You will need to negotiate hard over that and it won't so much be what you've already done but the prospect that you'll beggar off if it doesn't happen.

Very cynically, who will miss art? If you can answer that one then you deserve all the riches going.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I don't think we are talking about fast-tracking as it is just a move from M2 to M3. Under the old rules, you would have automatically moved to M3 next September, and many schools still operate a similar policy. Under those rules, being an NQT made no difference to pay progression. The fact that they started you on M2 sounds promising. I think it likely that if your performance is OK this year, you will go to M3. But, as already suggested, read your school's pay policy. It should be readily available. If you can't find it, speak to your line manager first.

snowyhead, strawbs and JohnJCazorla like this.