1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

M1 to M2, always happens in Sept?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by doddyman, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Hi,just a quickone
    I have recently completed my NQT year April 2010-April 2011. I started in April because I was on supply for 2 terms beforehand.
    What I would like to know is when should I move up to M2?? Should it have been at April or does it only happen in September?
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks

2. Increments are annual

3. Sorry John, I am being really stupid. Annual from when you started, or annual every September?

4. i understood it went up every september so long as you'd worked at least 26 weeks of the previous year. if you worked less you wait until the following september to go up.
    however, i could be wrong!

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

No-one gets a pay increase for passing Induction.
    Pay progression happens in September every year IF you were employed by an LA (not an agency) in at least 26 separate calendar weeks.
    A week for pay progression purposes can be just one day per week or even one session per week.
    An NQT on a 0.2 contract(one day per week) would go up the payscale each September and would be on M5 in their final Induction year.
    If someone does Induction in isolated terms in different school years, they might still be on M1 in their 4th year of teaching if they didn't manage the 'work in 26 weeks' qualifier for going up the payscale.

6. but this, of course, would show the management team in a most depressing light. I wouldn't want to work for them.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It has nothing whatsoever to do with the 'management team' - it's the same for anyone in any school.

8. I'm pretty sure increments are awarded on a12 monthly basis - see your contract.

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Just look at jubilee's very comprehensive reply!