1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

M1 pay scale and 10% release time

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by HeyGio, Jun 23, 2019.

1. HeyGio

HeyGio New commenter

Hi
    I've received a job offer from a school for maternity cover (6 months) in M1 pay scale. It's my first year of teaching in UK and, as I'm a overseas trained teacher, the induction period is not required.

Am I allow to ask for the 10% reduction of teaching time in addiction to the PPA time as my contractual status is the same as NQT and it's my first teaching year?

What do you think? is it my right or is it something that I could negotiate with the head teacher?
    Thanks

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

You can always ask as the job is currently at the negotiating stage. You would need to justify why they should give it to you though, whilst M1 is usually what an NQT starts on, any new teacher can be offered it now.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The law (*) says that only teachers legally required to serve an induction period are entitled to a 10% reduction in their timetable. As you aren't required to do that you aren't entitled to a reduced timetable. But as Stiltskin says, you can ask, anything is potentially negotiable!

(*) In case you are curious, the Education (Induction Arrangements for School Teachers) (England) Regulations 2012 paragraph 10 (4)