1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

M1 or M2?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by mab7689, Oct 10, 2018.

1. mab7689

mab7689 New commenter

I completed my NQT year in the 2015/16 academic year in a fixed term contract position. It ended and I didn't gain direct employment at the end of it so for both the 2016/17 and 2017/18 academic years I did agency supply until I finally was successful in acquiring my first permanent teaching position. This commenced in September. I believed that as I have completed induction and now have full QTS that this would place me at M2.
    I discovered upon receiving my first pay last month that my employer is paying me at M1. I have queried this and the response from SLT was that as I haven't had performance management there I am not eligible for M2 so I will be at M1 this academic year. I have always been under the impression that the NQT induction process is the performance management at that stage so successful completion of that is classed as it, therefore I am entitled to M2. I understand that I have received no performance management in the 2 years that I did agency supply so I am not entitled to automatic rises beyond M2, but I was under the impression that completion of NQT makes the progression from M1 to M2 automatically transferable. My departmental colleagues have also told me they believe this too and my head of department has said he supports me and disagrees with the school on this.
    My employer also outsources its payroll so I happen to have not received any written documents stating my pay scale. I haven't received an offer letter and haven't seen and signed a contract yet so I have had nothing in writing that made me aware of this in advance.
    I wish to ask if you could possibly provide advice please on whether I am entitled to be at M2 and the school is underpaying me? The £2000 difference is essential to me as I am saving for a house. I have contacted my union and am awaiting a response.
    Any advice please? Am I right or is the school?

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

You are entitled to be paid whatever they offered when you accepted the job. The school will offer to pay you a salary and you can either accept or decline, what you were paid in a previous post is now neither here nor there. Did you ask what the salary would be when you were interviewed?

strawbs and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. mab7689

mab7689 New commenter

If I remember rightly I did, and I mentioned the agency were paying me at M2 equivalent. I got the response 'It will be in the offer letter'. The offer letter I never got.

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

If it's going to go all pantomime with
    "OH YES YOU DID"
    "OH NO WE DIDN'T"

How many witnesses were on the interview panel when these words were spoken? Are they likely to side with you?

Also
    This can mean that the school offer is only M1, not an agreement to pay M2. HR are quite useless at most schools so no offer letter isn't at all sinister.

Are you prepared to risk stating that you have been conned and then reclaiming the money legally? It looks like the polite approach of 'some mistake, surely' has not worked.

5. mab7689

mab7689 New commenter

I won't do anything drastic till I've had union advice.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  6. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

There is NO automatic pay progression from M1 to M2, nor from any points on the scale. I've been teaching for 20 years, but if I moved school then a new school would be perfectly legally entitled to pay me at M1.
    There is no pay portability (and hasn't been for a few years, so your colleagues and HoD should know this!)

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If it was agreed that you would be on M2, then you have a case, even if it is hard to prove it. If not, I don't think you do. I don't think the words "it will be in the offer letter" guarantee you M2, although perhaps the context of the remark changes things.

I am not sure where your assumption about being entitled to M2 came from. Pay portability has not been around for a while. Have you read STPCD? If not you (and any other teacher) really should. Including your colleagues. My advice would be to not believe anything about pay and conditions you are told by colleagues or Internet forums until you have verified them for yourself. STPCD and the Burgundy Book are easy to get hold of.

Has the school said they will not pay you more? The 'I think there has been a mistake' approach can work sometimes. If not, you might want to start looking for a new job.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  8. adamgwhitlock4

adamgwhitlock4 New commenter

I mean, there is no entitlement to being paid at M2. If you haven't received a contract, signed it or an offer letter to argue with - the employer has the right to pay you at M1 but you have the right to walk away. It might be, if you consider it worth it, you get M2 in writing with a contract or leave. They may see it as not worth the hassle to recruit again and give in (cost of advert v M2 increase is similar) - or they may assume you have no other job to leave to (which is most likely) and you would be stuck there regardless. Either way, politely quibble your M1 salary as a mistake - resort to a stand-off if you think it's really worth it.