1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

M&S lowest non food sales in 3 years

Discussion in 'Personal' started by airy, Jul 10, 2012.

1. I saw this on the news and it made me think about the recent knicker conversation here. Wayne Hemmingway seems to think its because they have abandoned the breadth of market and only make clothes for the older middle aged and elderly. I used to shop there quite regularly but I'd be hard pushed to think of anything other than knickers that I've bought in the last few years...so what happened?

2. I saw this on the news and it made me think about the recent knicker conversation here. Wayne Hemmingway seems to think its because they have abandoned the breadth of market and only make clothes for the older middle aged and elderly. I used to shop there quite regularly but I'd be hard pushed to think of anything other than knickers that I've bought in the last few years...so what happened?

3. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Yes. Even their pants are..... pants.

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I agree. I used to get my stockings from there and the odd work shirt but I don't even venture in any more except to get underwear for my kids.

5. Ohhhhh - I feel another rant coming on!!
    Quality of staples like knickers, men's pants, socks and t-shirts has just gone out of the window IMO. Don't know what the bras used to be like, but currently they are ****.
    The fabric they use is poor and thus socks/pants become holey and worn quickly. T-shirts shrink and don't have that nice 'feel' to them after a couple of washes.
    Sizing is all to cack too. You never know if your usual size will actually fit. Which is clearly a problem if you have to buy online like what I do.
    So, I'm frankly not surprised their non-food sales have dropped. Serves them right and I hope they sort themselves out!

6. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I have bought some very nice bits and bobs clothes-wise this year, but I have had to hunt high and low to find them. Rails and rails of mediocre stuff. I did used to wonder who was buying it all and now we find the answer seems to be "nobody" - which is really no great surprise.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

...and they're not even doing that right.
    I'm in my 50s. Mum is in her 70s. Neither of us like what M&S have on offer these days. For the first time since my 20s I'm having to find something else to give mum as presents as she hasn't used the last couple of lots of M&S gift cards yet.
    Mind you, I have to say that I'm not much impressed by clothes anyone is selling at the moment - horrible colours, weird fabrics and frumpy styles put me off.
    ...and nowhere seems to do bum shaped knickers - only thongs (barf) and rectangular knickers. ...and nice bras not made out of inches thick preformed mattresses are pretty hard to find too.

8. We should bloody worry about M&S. My heart bleeds.

9. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I could only find <strike>Y fronts</strike> briefs at Marks. Advancing years have persuaded me to go black, however.
    (My thighs are too strong and thick to wear boxer shorts and tight jeans together)

10. Whoah there, Eureka! Are you Sir Chris Hoy by another name?
    *feeling slightly faint now*

11. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I do like a bike ride, as it happens Manashee!

12. By jings, crivvens and help ma boab!
    Next men's Solomons are very good, according to him indoors. He doesn't do boxers either.

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

In my 20s I used to buy some plain bits for work from M&S - black trousers etc. Now that I am fast approaching 40 I find them much too frumpy. Some of the Per Una stuff is pretty but it is bit too frilly and over-designed for my taste.

14. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

It's not just me then? You can usually find one pack in Tesco amongst all the thongs and shorts. If I can find the shape that I like, I invariably have to settle for a rather nasty colour selection. The latest ones had peachy/orangey flowers and one pair that were pale green with an orange bow. Thankfully, nobody is likely to see them!

15. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

the only piece i want is out of bloody stock!

16. Yes! I quite like some PerUna stuff but then it always has a frill or bit of lace or stupid fastening or silly coloured stripe too many.

17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Did anyone watch that programme about Mary Portas and the knicker factory? I tried to buy some but couldn't find a stockist or even a way to buy from her own website.

18. I know it's wrong, but i couldn't help trying to picture your legs. Mine are like tree trunks, but boxers still fit beneath jeans. I prefer boxers, because I need the room. If you know what I mean.

19. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I've not shopped there for years and I used to love their undies and t - shirts.
    The bras - as previously mentioned are **** now and the sizing is ridiculous - naff and ill fitting - quite a feat!
    And don't get me started on per una! The jeans are ok but that's about as far as I would go - some of it is so nodgerish it looks like it's from a Marshall Ward catalogue circa 1987.
    This is not ordinary overpriced sh1te . . . This is M&S overspriced sh1te.
    And they don't recognise unions.
    f*** em

20. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I'm sorry, have I wandered into the TES bondage story by mistake? [​IMG]