1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

M&S get it sorted

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Dec 8, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Had an email from M&S with offers etc plus Dine In for £10, click to see the Menu, so I clicked and There is no Dine In deal at the moment!!
    Confusing, but I must admit, I'm getting a bit fed up with them, they all seem a bit samey.

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Had an email from M&S with offers etc plus Dine In for £10, click to see the Menu, so I clicked and There is no Dine In deal at the moment!!
    Confusing, but I must admit, I'm getting a bit fed up with them, they all seem a bit samey.

3. Dine in deal is definitely on this w/e - just bought one tonight to eat tomorrow, as will be knackered after a week of training.
    Steak & chips, champagne & strawberry souffle & a nice red.
    Er, the red is being raided tonight... [​IMG]

4. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Is the general target for supermerkets to flog budget-ready, ready made meals?
    They did it with cars. There was a time when any enterprising person could get their car through an MOT, but it moved on to become about things the average person can't possibly control. Who do you know has an exhaust emission anyliser in their garage? Or knows how to tweak their car to sort it?
    We slowly move into a sanitised world where what we eat becomes more controlled by the providers. Recipes disapear because the ingredients are no longer available.
    At the moment you're looking at less meat on the shelves but a variety of either ready meals or pre-prepared meals.
    It probably won't happen inmy lifetime where I am able to cook for myself, but you can bet your life that the meals on wheels I get will be even more disappointing than they are now.
    It's all about what is acceptable, and so long as the general public don't complain too much, you get less raw ingredients and more ready and prepared meals. Is this what you want?

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

This isn't remotely true. Pure conspiracy theory.
    The "Dine in for £10" has come about because people can't afford to eat out as much now. On a Friday night, the idea of a main meal, a pud and a bottle of wine for a tenner is hugely appealing when you've scarcely the energy to make beans on toast yet don't feel the finances would stretch to a meal out.
    We're all keen cooks here who like to go to tremendous efforts but sometimes, it's nice just to sit with a plate of something quite nice that's taken no effort and eat it with a bottle of wine and loved one that hasn't had to sit alone in front of the telly for an hour whilst we fiddle about in the kitchen.
    M&S ready meals aren't bad at all and are far removed from the tetra-packed, highly preserved and stabilised ready meals we often thing of when we consider such things. They're essentially fresh ingredients assembled into something that just needs cooking. I'm pretty sure they started up the whole Dine in for £10 idea and I think it's a very good idea, in today's economic climate, particularly.
    Eating the occasional ready-meal isn't remotely shameful.

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

£10 fo r 2 ???????????????????????????
    We do a "special meal" for £5, and a "normal" supper comes in at less than £2/head

7. The £10 includes a bottle of wine.

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

but still - that is a special meal (birthday/anniverasary) chez nous......
    ... unless it is £7 bottle of wine??

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Most of the wines do sell separately for around the £6.99-8.99 region. But it's the treat yourself aspect that is the biggest draw. Restaurant quality food for 2 courses with wine for £10, it's sure to be a seller. And for a lot of people it's a big treat, I know when I am very busy and can't be bothered to even cook a UFO, they are OK.

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Exactly. The food is far from unsurpassable, but when you can't be *****, it's plenty good enough. I'm the only one who cooks in our house (D cooks very occasionally), so a night off now and again is grand.
    Anyway - it's actually often very good value. A common deal is steaks, pommes dauphinoise, sald, a chocolate 'fondant' type pud and a bottle of very drinkable wine. You'd struggle to pick that lot up to make from scratch for under a tenner.

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Correction Nick, you get either salad or pommes dauphinoise, not both, but we usually add salad here.

12. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Your're right - we've probably bought a bag of salad on top which pushes it up to around £11. Still good value, though.