1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

M R on Kaye Adams show

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by gnulinux, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Has there really been all that much concern in Primary CG? I do acknowledge your own concerns, expressed often around the TESS "water cooler". I know also that many primary teachers are cynical about CfE as yet another new initiative. I suspect however, that primary colleagues are unlikely to have the same concerns simply because of the lack of national examinations in P1 - P7.

Might be worthwhile starting a new thread on Primary Teachers' Concerns re CfE? I'd be interested to know more.

2. Freddie92

Freddie92 Occasional commenter

Bottom line is MR is out of his depth.

3. Umm. Yes. Big-time. Pretty much for the past three years.
    Well, we had National Assessments, which were abused and not fit for purpose and were thrown out, and good riddance. But at least they, and 5-14 with them, provided some practical guidance as to what teachers should be covering, and a target to aim for.
    There's nothing now but the CfE woolliness. And I mean, nothing. Oh, wait, there's some pictures over at the NAR, I think.
    If secondary teachers think that kids coming into secondary in the past have been all over the map wrt levels of attainment in English and Maths, wait'll you get the new cohorts, who've been CfE'd all the way through and have never had any kind of standardised assessment through their primary years.
    I am glad that secondary teachers are up in arms about CfE because the govt would never listen to primary. We are considered beneath contempt by the powers-that-be, and that includes the union. But since you guys are at the sharp end of the education system when it comes to qualifications for uni and employment, maybe---just maybe---they'll listen to you guys.

4. As usual, unfortunately not much listening going on. I think we need to be LOUDER.

5. No listening. Just more promises of support if we don't implement the new qualifications. And lots of assurances about how well Primaries are implementing CfE so what are we all whinging about?

6. At a recent inset day the outlook was depressing:

- After a year of waiting the representative from the SQA had nothing new to give us from last year; no assessment exemplars or a way to move forward.

-A local head teacher who had attended the Stirling conference was damning in her assessment of Nat 4/5 in English i.e. there is no challenge for brighter pupils, who could pass Nat. 4 with their eyes closed by the first term of S3, but cannot move on to Nat. 5 until the end of S4, result - a lot of bored kids twiddling their thumbs for two years.

I'm sure we all have our horror stories from inservice days...

Come on folks, get on the Learning and Teaching Scotland website and post your views on the 'Have your Say' section. This is a way for us to speak out without reprisal (or so they say).