1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

M&S Foodhall

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by henriette, Dec 19, 2010.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

I am in the fortunate position of having received £50 of M&S vouchers which o/h thinks we should spend on "special" things in the Food Hall.
    I don't want/need canapé/nibbly/party bits.
    What do you suggest I spend it on? What is M&S best at? (I don't usually shop there!)

2. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Everything!
    Seriously, I love their fresh fruit and veg - I think the quality is great. Their meat is also very good.
    Their "Dine in" offers are also very good. Do you have room in the freezer to stock up on some stuff ready for next year or did your husband deliberately want stuff for Xmas?

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

I have a 6ft chest freezer - I have room to stock up!
    Some ready meals might be a good idea as we are generally opposed to eating "processed" food, but I understand theirs to be of the best quality. Maybe some meat for the freezer as well (although I usually only eat meat if I know its provenance - Farmers' Market for me !!).
    Fruit is a good idea - may be some "interesting" fruit if they have it (but I usually get that at the "Exotic Superstore" [wonderful name!]).
    What is their wine like?
    Breads?
    Cheese?

4. It may sound odd but I think may favourite food from M+S is their tinned stewed steak and new potatoes! It used to be our first meal on family holidays. Nice and tasty after a long drive, and really quick for mum/dad to sort out once we had settled.
    When I moved into my flat in April me and my mum went on a massive food shop, those tins were first on the list :)
    JSY x

5. Tell your OH to stick it. If you were quite happy with your Christmas food thus far, why do you need to buy more?
    Soend it on some clothes/shoes/undies in the sale, when it will get your 100 quid's worth of stuff.

6. Although I normally loathe readymade meals, M&S readymades are good, good, good.

7. henriette

henriette New commenter

I think he was trying to be helpful and thoughful.
    As it is, I cannot get there in this snow that has <u>finally</u> arrived, so January Sales look good!

8. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

Totally agree there - offers often good too, with complete meal for a tenner.

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I love M&S.
    Unless things have changed then all their pork products are free-range pork (even if not explicitly labelled)
    I often keep a couple of their crispbakes in the freezer for a 'quick' meal. (Stock up when they are 3 for 2)....and I usually have a tin or two their meats on the shelf (ham/stewed beef in gravy/chicken in white sauce)
    The ready meals are good. (One of the few I actually enjoy) and the small roasting joints are really good value (and freeze beautifully)
    As a real indulgence some of their desserts are rather delicious....but I see them as a real treat (both because I can't afford them that often and because I struggle to justify them as a regular feature on the healthy-eating plan!....lemon meringue pie is surely a fruit-based dessert? ...As is any sort of fruit pie...and the trifle looks absolutely packed with healthy fruit!!!)

10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

When we had an M&S food shop, it seemed to major on party food. Lots of nice stuff, but I would never have gone there for the weekly shop. Fruit & veg seemed nice but limited in range.
    P

11. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

When my sister was in hospital last year, she was craving M&S cherries. What's the big deal about M&S cherries, I thought. They're big and plump and juicy, the way they are in Spain. One taster and I was ruined forever. Mind you at &pound;3.99 a titchy punnet they should be good!
    I do realise that was NO help whatsoever since it is not cherry season, but their fruit and veg is flipping good.

12. I would go for the idea of stocking up on the dine for a tenner thing. V good value and most tasty! Buy in bulk and freeze.

13. I sent hubby to pick up some nice Xmas deserty things last year with a &pound;20 giftcard I had. He worked in town and passed it on his way to the bus stop home on an evening you see.
    He proudly returned home - with &pound;20 of profiteroles.

14. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

My father once returned form the supermarket (I understand why mum only ever sent him in an emergency) with a dozen cans of Campbells meatballs. He opened one can and remarked that they were akin to Pedigree Chum. I think they're still in the pantry, somewhere.

15. egyptgirl

Sounds like my fiance - I sent him out the morning to get some eggs from the local shop and he came back with 5 packets of custard creams, 4 of bourbon biscuits, a pork pie, 3 mars bars, a bottle of gin and...NO EGGS! [​IMG]

16. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

But he bought custard-creams and gin! My sort of shopping list!
    Oh, and I bought half a dozen free range medium eggs this morning....we could swap?!

17. egyptgirl

I can't make a frittata with gin! Although I could probably bind my stuffing with it! [​IMG]
    Beth, of course you may the custard creams - would you like some shortbread too? He's only just got the message that he needs to stop buying shortbread (we have a number of boxes...I couldn't tell you how many because I've lost count!)

18. When Mum was ill in bed last year at Christmas, I sent step-dad out with a list and 50 quid to cover it (from Mum's housekeeping money).
    He came back with 35 quid change and I had to go back out to buy the turkey.
    Bless - he was not himself and full of worry but we sure laughed eating that turkey.
    I had forgotten that memory.