1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lysistrata

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by sheffmoose, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I am teaching Lysistrata for Edexcel A2 for the first time and hoped someone might be able to help with a good sow that will help pupils to engage with the text bit also makes sure they are prepared for the written exam

2. I am teaching Lysistrata for Edexcel A2 for the first time and hoped someone might be able to help with a good sow that will help pupils to engage with the text bit also makes sure they are prepared for the written exam

3. If you do a search there's another thread with some ideas on.

4. I think we shoudl keep this thread alive for teachers who are currently teaching it.
    I began it 2 weeks ago and it is now my focus for 4 lessons per week.
    I started by getting the students to do some independent research and create a handout and create an activity or game in order to teach us on an area issued. I decided to get them to look at the context behind Lysistrata and society at the time - Athens at the time it was written, greek staging, Old Comedy, the war etc..

This proved to be very successful and hillarious at the same time.

This week we looked at their understanding of a director and a concept and did some devising work around that.
    Next week we are looking at the opening of the play and how as a director you could prepare actors to show thedifferent between Lysistrata and Colonice.

Any one else have any ideas to share?

5. Thanks - this was also my thread that I started - I found your help most useful - when would you recommend getting the students to think of thier individual concept. At the moment I have just been focusing on the proces of getting actors ready for performance.

6. Glad it's helped. :) It's my first time of teaching this question though so it's all experimentation!
    I've been doing it one lesson a week since Sept so my students did their concepts before Christmas. They did a mood board and added to it to incorporate OPC and the themes.
    We've taken a break from practical to look at exam papers and do practice Qs but we're going back to practical. I'm kind of trying it back to front - I think that now they are much more confident with their concepts they can focus their rehearsal ideas more clearly. We did some more general stuff towards the beginning.
    I think so far mine are stronger on Section B than Section A. I think they're still going to find it quite hard though. They always seem to be able to verbalise their ideas well but getting them down on paper seems much harder!