1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lyons Electronic Office

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by JaquesJaquesLiverot, Jan 7, 2016.

1. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

There was an interesting episode of the Radio 4 series Hidden Histories of the Information Age this morning about the pioneering role of Lyons (the cake manufacturer) in the development of the Computer as a business tool:

Hidden Histories of the Information Age: LEO

Spiritwalkerness likes this.
  2. clickschool

clickschool New commenter

The 1957 video is pretty good too:

3. icaldwell

icaldwell New commenter

also available as a podcast in iTunes

4. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

Excellent! Very interesting. Do pupils make the connection between computers and Leo?

5. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

When I introduce networks I do a brief history of computing to show the evolution from mainframes to dispersed systems to networked systems, and I've included a picture of LEO for about 15 years!

6. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Still find it hard to believe in 1974 the ICT 1901t running Exec/George with 96k memory ran all the systems for stocks, sales, purchasing, invoicing, payroll and forecasting etc at Fenners Ltd.
    My PC doing this has 100 times the memory and 1000 times the disk capacity at a thousandth of the price.