1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

lycra!

Discussion in 'Music' started by sparklepig2002, Aug 13, 2011.

1. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

hello,
    I have seen various mentions of using a piece of lycra to teach music to nursery children. Could anyone explain in more detail how it is used for teaching music? thank you

2. sparklepig2002

hello,
    I have seen various mentions of using a piece of lycra to teach music to nursery children. Could anyone explain in more detail how it is used for teaching music? thank you

3. Hi,
    I am not a teacher but we sell lycra in our catalogue and I have seen it used in a few ways.
    Get the children around it holding it. You can bounce items on it (puppets, balls etc) and sing songs based around these - helps rhythm and control. Could use for counting.

Hold the lycra and stretch it - move forwards, backwards, up and down to enforce a steady beat and pulse.
    There are all sorts of songs you could incorporate it with which I'm sure more experienced people can help you with.

We sell it in packs with percussion and puppets so you can make songs, compositions and use the lycra within this to help co-operation and teamwork.

Hope this helps get you started.

4. sparklepig2002

hello Emily
    thank you for your response - could you let me have details of your catalogue please.
    Best wishes

5. Hi,

No problem. The website is www.mesdirect.com
    You can see most of the range there or order a free catalogue for delivery. You can purchase the lycra on its own or buy music sacks with instruments and puppets which include some teaching notes and ideas.

Hope you get on ok.

Best wishes,

Emily