1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Luther

Discussion in 'Personal' started by smurphy6, Jan 1, 2019.

1. smurphy6

smurphy6 Lead commenter

I have been waiting for Luther to return since the last series finished in 2015. Over the last few weeks I have re-watched every episode on iPlayer to refresh myself.

It’s grusome but brilliant.

I hope Idris Elba is the next James Bond.

If you like Luther and have not seen the Comic Relief sketch about Luther at home with the family I recommend you search it on YouTube and watch it.

henrypm0, emerald52 and needabreak like this.
  2. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I've watched every series since day one and although it has some merit it could be vastly improved by lighting the sets and actually using clearer images. Plus you have to suspend disbelief. You really have to suspend disbelief.

Luther: Always had potential. Never reached it.

It could be so much better.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  3. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I've also been watching- it's on every night this week. It's so dark and gory but I can't help watch. Idris is seriously good. Although I'm now too scared to put the rubbish out :rolleyes:

4. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

Won't be going upstairs on night buses either!

5. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

It got more crazy after Sakia Reeves left.

6. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Love Luther and the relationship between John and Alice.

needabreak likes this.
  7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

It just keeps you looking forward to the next gory episode... and if you were to take it on could make you think central London is the centre of all the macabre behaviours.

8. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Who would? I'd be downstairs nearest the door and the driver.

henrypm0, strawbs and needabreak like this.
  9. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

We lasted ten minutes. Then Mrs M went out to kneecap the next door neighbour.

10. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

I watched it instead of reading my bedtime book. I haven’t slept.

lardylady likes this.
  11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Exactly my thoughts, other than I haven’t watched every series. I just dislike those dark and muddy lighting themes.

needabreak likes this.
  12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Yes. Who goes into their house at night and sits in the dark? Also, who, with his previous experience and living in a shady area, answers the door without checking who it is?

grumpydogwoman and nizebaby like this.
  13. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Shooting acenes i the dark is cheaper. Simple as that.

needabreak likes this.
  14. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

But not cost effective if it puts people off watching.

Laphroig and grumpydogwoman like this.
  15. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

This too. At least get a chain fitted. Either I'm suffering from unnecessary paranoia, or Luther is recklessly fearless, or the scriptwriters need a slap.

needabreak, grumpydogwoman and InkyP like this.
  16. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Never seen it before. Boy is it full of problems. His car! The police would not let him drive an old banger like that, he would need a reliable car not some 25 year old Volvo. Having smashed through that gate the damage to it would have been much greater, even though Volvos have a reputation for being built like tanks. His behaviour is ridiculous. Patrick Malahide was obviously having fun as the crime boss, but what they did was ridiculous. Why did the Psychiatrist go to the police to put them on to the wrong suspect? They would have been more in the dark if she hadn't as she is obviously completely bonkers. How did the suspect get away from all those police in the woods, and how come Luther was the first on his tail when they were supposedly surrounding him? I guess others spotted more plot holes, but it is already like a leaky colander. Still, I might watch it tomorrow. (His boss is too old too, they do retire.)

needabreak and grumpydogwoman like this.
  17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

POSSIBLE SPOILER just scroll past.

The bloke in the woods wasn't the person she was shielding though was it? He was still alive, presumably the one who liked banging nails into people. So why did she turn up in the woods for the bloke with the mask who slit his throat? Was he the one in the bus? A bit too easy to catch him in episode 1 surely. I'm confused.

18. catmother

catmother Star commenter

He is!

I'm amazed so many people seemed to have try to watch (and giving up) this series without watching the previous series!
    You can't understand who Alice is if you've never seen it before!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    needabreak likes this.
  19. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Looks as if she (and the real bad guy) set up the guy who slid his throat (or had his throat cut more likely) as a patsy.

needabreak likes this.
  20. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Edge of my seat viewing!!!!
    Can't wait for tonight's episode.
    Makes me think there sure are some weirdos out there....................hidden.

emerald52, needabreak and catmother like this.