1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Luther

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Jun 15, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Brilliant. Just brilliant! [​IMG]

2. Idris Elba is a close personal friend of a friend of mine. [​IMG]
    He was, of course, also Stringer Bell in The Wire. Didn't really follow it but lurve Luther.

3. BelleDuJour

He's gorgeous seapink....just gorgeous!

4. BelleDuJour

Any chance of his phone number? [​IMG]
    sigh..............

5. bizent

bizent Lead commenter

Agreed - OH was watching it so thought i'd give it a go. Brilliant! Can't wait for next week!

6. BelleDuJour

Do you fancy him too Biz? [​IMG]
    Next week I'm on holiday in Tunisia so I've put it on Sky+ and will dash home to see it! Then I will only have to wait one day for the next episode!

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I loved him in that AND in Luther - two very different characters of course . . . . but those melty brown eyes were evident in both. Swoon

8. Erm...I was referring to the programme!!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I thought he was outstanding in The Wire and was gobsmacked to find that he was not American but I don't like Luther at all - too many American police series (like The Wire) completely outclass ours.

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Have you seen The Shield? [​IMG]

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I loved the first series of The Shield but gave up half way through the second season when it seemed that no-one had any redeeming features. No idea why I went off it so much, other than I like my 'cops' to be clean(ish).

12. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I know what you mean. The Strike Team were very dirty, but I felt the relations tween them and their clean colleagues made for interesting viewing.
    What about Dexter? Or Breaking Bad?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Not seen either - they were both on odd channels or odd nights or at the same time as something else. I'm hoping someone will get the box sets and then I'll do back to back series!

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

That is the best way imo - no waiting times inbetween, complete control over when and no adverts [​IMG] We did the whole of Lost over the summer holidays, it was intense but SO satisfying.

15. The Wire was too convoluted for its own good. It was up itself. Honestly, I think there are people around who regard it as some sort of badge of honour to have watched it all 5 times, studied it at Night School, bought the *boxed set* etc.etc. ( I am talking generally here, btw! )
    The British actor who played the main cop was pretty good though - for his impressive American accent. But then so was Damian Lewis for his amazing accent in Band of Brothers.
    I'm always a bit disappointed when actors can't do accents.

16. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

Is this a new series of Luther? If so I am green with envy.

17. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I disagree. I would honestly much rather settle back and watch an episode of Lewis, Luther, Morse, Frost etc

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

As a hardened fan of American police series I didn't find it particularly convuluted though it did require a degree of concentration that far too many television series don't demand of the viewer. I did not, however, think it was nearly as good as the hype suggested nor as innovative as Hill Street Blues was in its day. I've followed American police series ever since HSB and watched the development through NYPD Blue, HomIcide, Life on the Streets etc and much prefer them to most British police series.
    Morse and A Touch of Frost are honourable exceptions.

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We watched it last night. Was there a previous series because it seemed to assume we already knew a lot of the back stories?

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

That was innovative in its day too. I loved it. [​IMG]