1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lurking filth

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

When I was washing the kitchen floor yesterday, it occurred to me to run a knife under the front of the washing machine to see if anything was lurking there. OMG! I was horrified at what issued forth: clotted globs of dust, 2 drawing pins, oat flakes, a squashed fruitella, curls of potato peel, a green biro, several coffee granules and sundry other unidentifiables. So then I did the same under the gas stove with even more unedifying results. What filth is lurking under your appliances? I'm off now to look down the back and sides of the sofas.

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Wear gloves!

3. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Dragonlady30 and Lascarina like this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've been replacing wardrobes in our very cluttered bedroom and have been dealing with some serious accumulations of dust behind and on top of things. Thanks be to the Lord for James Dyson.

6. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Never have your kitchen gutted and refitted then Lascarina
    You'd be really upset/amazed by what creeps under fitted kitchen units and lurks there in the dark :eek:

7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I know exactly what lurks under my fitted kitchen units in the dark. We sometimes take the kickboards off and let the cats explore for that very reason!

lardylady and sabrinakat like this.
  8. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

cissy3 likes this.
  9. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I don't look under my appliances. Ignorance is bliss and all that.

10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

No chance, Did. It'll have to see me out as it is. I spend my money on things that I perceive as far more rewarding.

Noja, cissy3 and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I do console myself that it's always filth free down my plugholes because I regularly dredge out gunk with my long Tunisian crochet hook.

rachelpaula008 and cissy3 like this.
  12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Our cat takes the kickboards off himself, which is actually an amazing achievement, because it isn't easy for me to prise them off. Whenever I find them lying on the floor, I have to search high and low to find out where the cat is hiding before replacing them in case he's underneath the units in a place I can't see or get to.

13. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I'm thinking you have a bit too much free time, L! :eek:

guinnesspuss likes this.
  14. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I moved a small set of shelves today after the lid of a board marker rolled underneath. I found two very dusty board rubbers and a staple remover.

15. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

delnon likes this.
  16. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I checked down the back and sides of a lovely leather chair that I bought second-hand for my rental property. I found over £18 in coins (just under half of what I paid for it). I used a ruler first to prise debris and coins up and was then fairly sure that I wouldn't find a syringe when I put my hands down.

cissy3 and Lascarina like this.
  17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

A friend of mine once found a completely flat, desiccated mouse under her cooker.

Lascarina likes this.
  18. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Argh, what a horrible shock that must've been :eek:.

My plumbers had to take off all of my radiators recently so they could flush them all through. The dust and debris behind them left me mortified :(:oops:

19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

We had our kitchen ripped out in January. Mouse droppings under the range. Also under the bath upstairs! That I did find weird.

We moved in last July. Before anyone calls me a dirty mare. Although, if I didn't have a cleaner, I WOULD be!!!

20. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Oooooh. You have a cleaner!