1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lunchtimes with Nursery Children in a school

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Thumperrabbit, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Thumperrabbit

Thumperrabbit New commenter

Do your Nursery children join in with the main school to eat their lunch in the school hall or do they eat in the classroom?
    Also, who supervises them, their keyworker/teacher or lunchtime staff?

many thanks

2. kateeleanor

kateeleanor New commenter

I teach Nursery. We have a mixture of part time and full time children. The full time children bring in a packed lunch and eat in the nursery (in the snack area) then they go and play for half an hour in the nursery garden. They have their own dedicated dinner lady so we can have our own lunch break. Only 8 of them stay for lunch so there’s not too many of them, and it seems to work quite well. The dinner lady makes sure it’s tidy for when the afternoon children come. Hope that helps!

3. Thumperrabbit

Thumperrabbit New commenter

Thank you for your reply, that sounds lovely.
    Can I ask is your dinner lady qualified or don't lunchtime staff need to be qualified when they are looking after 3-4yr olds?
    Our Nursery is mornings only at the moment and we are looking at offering a full day, but lunchtime seems to be the 'sticking point' at the moment; we couldn't afford a lunchtime member of staff just for Nursery.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ours eat in the dining hall with rec - year 2 and then play outside with them as well.
    Outside we have a teacher, a TA and a dinner lady and inside is a mix of teachers and TAs.
    If they are mornings only then they go home after eating and don't play outside.
    We don't offer afternoons only.

5. May2

May2 Established commenter

When we started doing lunch times they brought a packed lunch and were supervised by two TAs or one TA and a parent. It was only a small number of about 12-15 children. When they finished they played usually indoors while others finished, as some took ages eating. They then finished with a story. Occasionally they might go outside but only in the dedicated Foundation Stage Play area. They went home after lunch as there is no afternoon nursery. I would think there has to be a qualified member of staff with them. We used to have the Nursery and Reception TAs doing it and they were paid for the extra hour.

6. kateeleanor

kateeleanor New commenter

Yeah the dinner lady that supervises our Nursery children is qualified but I don’t know if they have to be.