1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lunchtimes - making them work...

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by nudge, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Hi all

Am just looking at lunchtimes in school and thinking about how we can make them work better. Do your midday supervisors have fantastic strategies for managing behaviour? how do they feed back to teachers? Are the children enjoying their break?
    Just looking for ideas that are working in schools really...
    Thank you - all ideas would be fab!

2. Apologies for "answering" a question with a question but I am wondering why lunch supervisors should need to feed back to teachers.
    Ideally, lunch supervisors should deal with incidents at lunch time. Lessons in the afternoon should not have to be delayed/disrupted whilst teacher conducts inquiry into an event which took place at lunch time.
    I have known this to be a problem where children did not have the same respect for lunch supervisors as they did for teachers. HT accepted this and suggested that teachers had to deal with all incidents as pupils did not take L.S s seriously. I think the real issue was to get pupils to respect all adults in the school and to ensure that a sanction applied by a LS carried as much weight as one applied by a teacher.
    Not sure if this is the kind of response you were looking for.