1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lunchtime requirements in nursery

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Juls Radster, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Flexible hours in nursery is starting tomorrow. I've offered parents 2 and a half days at the beginning or end of the week and the usual morning or afternoons sessions. The beginning of the week is full so I will have 13 children staying for lunch. To meet the 1:8 lunchtime ratio I've got a NVQ level 3 assistant to lead the lunchtimes but does the second person need to be a level 2? The person I've got does assist in nursery and is a lunchtime supervisor but she is not a level 2, does this matter?

2. Flexible hours in nursery is starting tomorrow. I've offered parents 2 and a half days at the beginning or end of the week and the usual morning or afternoons sessions. The beginning of the week is full so I will have 13 children staying for lunch. To meet the 1:8 lunchtime ratio I've got a NVQ level 3 assistant to lead the lunchtimes but does the second person need to be a level 2? The person I've got does assist in nursery and is a lunchtime supervisor but she is not a level 2, does this matter?

3. The people covering lunchtime only need to be qualified if you are counting lunchtime in the 15 hour entitlement. If it is in addition to the 15 hours you can have lunchtime supervisors. This is because if you count the lunch as included in the 15 hour entitlement you have to be technically 'educating' them as well.

4. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

candyshrimp, I am not sure that is accurate. You're certainly correct that if you are counting lunchtime in the 15 hr entitlement you need a level 3 member of staff, but even if it is outside of the 15 hrs, Ofsted require a level 3 to meet the Welfare requirements/care standards, because the children are under 5.
    The other members of lunch time staff do not need to have any qualifications whether or not the lunchtime is within the 15 hrs.

5. Thanks for those replies. The lunchtime is in addition to the 15 hours so we do have one Level 3 and one lunchtime supervisor. Will only be 13 children for those two adults so think we are more than covered.