1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lunchtime Reading/Book Club for KS1/Lower KS2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kat38, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Hi there
    Have been asked to run a book club at our school for Year 2 - 4 children. It needs to run for about 1/2 hour one lunchtime a week. Last year the staff running it just let the kids have free run of the library and put out a few big books to look at which did work but it soon lost its sparkle and I want to give it a bit more 'life' than that! However despite my good intentions I am finding it really difficult to think of good ideas that would be fun yet easy to do.
    would really appreciate any ideas
    Thanks
    Kat

2. Hi there
    Have been asked to run a book club at our school for Year 2 - 4 children. It needs to run for about 1/2 hour one lunchtime a week. Last year the staff running it just let the kids have free run of the library and put out a few big books to look at which did work but it soon lost its sparkle and I want to give it a bit more 'life' than that! However despite my good intentions I am finding it really difficult to think of good ideas that would be fun yet easy to do.
    would really appreciate any ideas
    Thanks
    Kat

3. http://www.devonldp.org/do_download.asp?did=302138

I wonder if some of the ideas on the reading calendars might work for you? I was thinking of adapting the ideas to provide a reading activity per week for this year, to persuade my Y3's to do some active reading at home. I thought they could maybe choose whichever activity they fancied and then build up how many they've done - possibly with small prizes when they reach certain levels? I'm sure you could apply some of them as a sort of "Challenge of the Week" at your club.

Author of the week. Focus on different genres. Challenge them to bring something from home with a specific focus. Word of the week with a focus on extending vocabulary.
    HTH

Kat

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter