1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lunch time

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by 1Elmer, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Are we allowed to leave the school building during our lunch hour or 45 mins or whatever we get? I'd quite like to start walking for 30 mins each lunchtime to get in some exercise. Are we allowed off the premises or should we always be around incase needed? Or is that what lunchtime supervisors are for?

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Lunchtime is not directed time, you can do what you like (within reason!)

3. As long as in the building five mins after last and before next session, the time's yours...

4. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

. if it isn't in directed time OP can count those 10 minutes as theirs too.

5. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Teaching staff often leave the premises at lunch time at my school. They are never on duty over lunch as this is covered by support staff.
    When I was studying for the PGCE I was told at both placement schools that the only time you could leave the premises was at lunch time.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The only stipulation a school can make about you leaving the premises at lunchtime is that you should have to sign out , and back in, so that they know who's around in case of fire.
    It's unpaid time so cannot be directed. You can't be required to do a lunchtime duty and if you choose to do one it should be with extra pay.
    Some TAs at one secondary school where I worked earned over £200 extra per month by doing 3 lunchtime duties per week. One became quite irate when told that she could not spend half the lunchbreak in the staffroom eating her lunch when she was being paid to patrol corridors.