1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lunch time

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by 1Elmer, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Are we allowed to leave the school building during our lunch hour or 45 mins or whatever we get? I'd quite like to start walking for 30 mins each lunchtime to get in some exercise. Are we allowed off the premises or should we always be around incase needed? Or is that what lunchtime supervisors are for?

2. I'm pretty sure legally your lunch break is yours to do as you please with. Teachers and teaching assistants at my school go home, to town, for a walk etc in their lunch time. I have been to small schools where you couldn't possibly leave due to the low numbers of staff.

3. Oh good! Well I am in a 3 form entry but I teach in reception which is 4 form from this yr! I think there are plenty of staff around! I suppose I have to make sure I sign out and in incase there's a fire!

4. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I can't see why you wouldn't be allowed. Staff at my school often pop out to got to the shops etc. I used to live round the corner from school and went home most lunchtimes - that was back in the days of reasonable workloads when you actually got to take all of your lunchbreak. I used to come back in the afternoons feeling really refreshed, because I'd got out of school and switched off for a while.

5. Are you in the NUT? I'm nearly sure they say that you are entitled to an hour's break in the middle of the day, during which you are entitled to leave the premises.

6. I am in the nut. I think I'm just concerned I'm doing all my hours. I'm in at 7.15 every morning and leave at 3.30 mon, Tues and fri and 4.30 wed and thurs with a 45 min lunch break. I only sit in the staffroom 12.30-1.15. I'd rather be out for a walk for half an hour even tho the area isn't the greatest!

7. katiejane1

katiejane1 New commenter

I believe if you are a teacher you are not paid for your lunchtime and therefore the school cannot legally direct you to do anything. So you would be free to go out for a walk should you so wish.

8. Yes. I think this is the case too. I'm sure a few years ago, an older colleague told me that twenty or thirty years ago, teachers around the country went on work to rule over this and were all told by their unions to leave the premises at lunch times. Apparently, according to her, that's when extra lunchtime supervisors were employed.
    If you're working 7:45 - 3:30 with only 45 mins for lunch, it sounds as though you're doing more than your 'hours' anyway so I really wouldn't worry! I often go home for lunch! It's a lovely break in the middle of the day.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

Elmer, this isn't a criticism, but I'm appalled that you need to ask that question. You are an adult and paid for a certain number of hours work per year. Who has put the idea that your lunch break isn't yours in which to doas you please within the law?

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

Elmer, this isn't a criticism, but I'm appalled that you need to ask that question. You are an adult and paid for a certain number of hours work per year. Who has put the idea that your lunch break isn't yours in which to do as you please within the law? There are lunchtime supervisors and SMT who get paid to take the responsibility at lunchtime.