1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lunch time play

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sarahlat89, Sep 20, 2018.

1. sarahlat89

sarahlat89 New commenter

Hi

I have a full class and a small outdoor space. My class are very boy heavy - 23 boys and 8 girls. This week the children have been an absolute nightmare at lunch times as they use our outdoor area for their lunchtime play - they break toys and don't show respect for the area that's then meant to be used as a "learning environment" in the am and pm. My TA goes out at lunch as a supervisor so sets the rules and expectations very clearly, but there's simply too many children in a small space. Last year my children went out into KS1 for their lunch time play from the beginning but as my HT has changed, she won't allow this.

What do you do at lunch times to help make it more orderly and organised? I know some settings play games and I think this is a good idea for the last 15 mins of play, but think it will drag on for an entire hour!

Thanks

2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

If the HT won't allow it then ask HER to give you ideas to help solve the problem. Ask her to spend some of the lunchtime with the children observing them breaking toys etc.

nizebaby likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I would ask the head to come and help/observe on lunchtime and get her to see the problem first hand.
    What's her rationale for not letting children on the KS1 playground?
    One TA with 31 reception children doesn't seem enough.

nizebaby likes this.
  4. sarahlat89

sarahlat89 New commenter

Thanks for the replies. There are three adults out at lunch. One is my ta, and two midday supervisors but my ta works as a 1:1 for an sen child I have.

My HT says she doesn’t want 4 year olds on the playground with 7 year olds. I don’t understand this as it worked perfectly fine last year. She says things will settle after a couple of weeks but that doesn’t help us solve the actual problem! They have said give them less toys to have but if I take everything away I feel they’ll just run around in a small space and get hurt.

5. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

Getting to go on the "big playground" at lunchtime and play with her sister was the high point of my youngest's day in Reception last year. They'd spend most of the trip to school planning where they were going to meet up and what they were going to play with!

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We have rising threes with seven year olds on the same playground in my school.
    All works well enough.

nizebaby likes this.
  7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

staggered lunch time? the reception children eat first, then play, the others play first then eat/ recetion lunchtime starts 20 minutes earlier?

we have no space at all, so little space that children are banned from running.

we have to stagger lunch times

8. squashball

squashball Occasional commenter

Having your children in the reception outside space rather than the playground is the equivalent of having them in their classroom: the reception outside space is a specific learning environment and should not be confused with the playground. If the two are confused you will have a really big problem when it comes to getting meaningful learning going in their outdoor space. Very silly of your HT who is clearly not tuned into EYs ways.

nizebaby likes this.