1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

lunch time dilemma

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by oni44, Aug 21, 2012.

1. oni44

oni44 New commenter

Hello everyone.

just wanted to know what you have for lunch at school that avoids the temptation of fast or unhealthy food but tastes good , keep you full and keeps the calories at bay. Also when and where do you find the time to work out.

Starting my NQT and whist on placement I always gained weight. I would like to maintain a healthy mind body and soul

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My diet lunch is low fat pate, 2 pieces of ryvita, some cherry tomatoes and a pear. It takes a while to eat and that is part of what helps with me feeling full. If you don't like pate then you could substitute some low fat soft cheese, houmous, smoked salmon - lots of possible alternatives.
    My workout routine has been:
    • 2 nights a week work out on a Wii Personal trainer game for 30-50 mins a time. I do that on nights that I am home earliest before relaxing for the night.
    • 1 night a week of 60 mins on the exercise bike in front of the TV. It makes me feeling particularly virtuous when I am watching a cooking programme.
    • 1 night a week is my line dancing class.
    Some days I substitute a long walk with my dogs instead. I do their short walk sometimes - I share that job with hubbie. At weekends I nearly always do a long walk plus a stint on the bike or a workout.
    On those nights when you have no energy then a walk or a workout leaves you feeling more invigorated than sittiing around eating crisps or chocolate. It can be hard to convince yourself of that at first though!

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I take salad, soup, occasionally a wrap. More often than not I have left overs. For example, I might make something lovely on Sunday, then divvy up the rest of it in to portions for lunch for the week.

4. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Soups, salads, frittata (I make ickle ones in a bun tray), leftover chilli and rice/ pasta from dinner the previous night, the odd sandwich, crudites with a wee pot of low fat hummous, sushi, bean salad with tuna, cold poached or baked fish with salad.

5. I too struggled with weight gain when I first started teaching...its still a struggle but I'm working on it. I got into the habit of buying food from the school canteen which didn't help! I'm now moving to a school without a canteen so I need some inspiration with healthy (and quick to prepare) lunches.
    With regards to exercise I joined a gym! I tried to go for runs and use the Wii but to be honest I could not motivate myself! But with a gym membership because I'm paying for it, it makes me determined to go. It's not always easy to get there but my OH forces me! I try to do 3 nights a week (about 1 1/2 hours) and mix it up - some cardio, light weights then swimming and steam room (so relaxing!) Then I try to go at least once on the weekend too. The only downside is I don't normally get home from school until 6.30pm so often don't get back from gym until after 9, so I'm eating dinner late, but then try to do something quick like salad, cous cous and turkey or something like that.
    Although I feel tired before I go, I always feel so much better once I've been and I've lost a stone! It has been a gradual weight loss (just over a year), but I haven't been totally obsessed and I don't count calories - I just feel less lathargic and can fit into most of the clothes I wore around the time I got married! Always a motivator!