1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

lunch time club ideas - not sporty or instrument based!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by henny25, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I'm looking for ideas for a lunch time club to run. I should say I am not sporty, nor can I play a musical instrument!
    If anyone runs a successful lunch time club that doesn't fall in the either category could you share your ideas please.

Thanks in advance,

Henny

2. We have an ICT club. The children go into computer suite and use internet to access games, songs, videos or just research their interests. The adult is there to troubleshoot and guide children but doesn't prescribe what they must do. The children really enjoy it as they have time to do what they would like to do and explore their interests.
    Hope this helps.

3. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

I run a comic club which is focussed towards reluctant boy readers. I asked the parents to send in any comics they didn't want anymore and I was surprised by the response. The boys love it!

4. Love this idea fruit_bat - will be putting it forward for next terms club list! :)

5. forestje

forestje New commenter

I run a lego club which is very popular.

6. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

Thank you whowhatwhy :)

One of the subjects I am co-ordinator of is the library so I'm doing my best to make it 'cool' :) I have a right motley crew who come

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter

8. We have a Chess Club, a Reading/ Story Club, Sudoku Club (started off as a Maths Club) and a Sewing Club.
    Love the idea of a Comic Club BTW!
    Liz

9. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

10. CB123

CB123 New commenter

What about a darts club. I use a darts board in class (magnetic one) and all children love it, even those not as good at mental calculations. Im planning on setting a lunch club for it - Ill let you know how popular it becomes

11. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Book club? Writers club - maybe to write a piece for the school newsletter, or for a village magazine? Nature club?

12. Really liking the idea of a lego club!
    Definately a contender if l ever have to run another Lunchtime club.
    Very theraputic for me too!
    PM

13. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I had a little swap club (moshi monsters, lego mini figures mostly) that was v popular, and caused some consternation when my contract finished (not over me, I hasten to add!). I also used to let some of the little boys in my class who had 'playground problems' come in and play with their lego during swap club, so I was going to suggest a lego club too.

14. Loving the ideas - thanks guys!

15. filmmaking or animation club?
    sewing club

16. I do a Match Attax cub - the children bring in their cards and play matches, I just supervise to make sure any swaps are fair. Good for strategic thinking and getting chn to take turns and talk to each other!

17. I ran a handwriting club that was quite popular. The children copied poems onto colour bordered paper using line guides. E.g. they'd copy a poem about a cake onto a page with cakes around the edges. Was an even mix of boys and girls trying hard to get a pen. I made it that they didnt have to come every week.