1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lunch payments overdue: children put in lunch isolation

Discussion in 'Education news' started by monicabilongame, Jul 29, 2016.

1. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I love the way each post ends with a 'Come and join us!' message. It's a cult. Tomorrow obviously belongs to them.

minnie me likes this.
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

LOL I thought it sounded like a 'not quite illegal, but not quite right' cult as well!

I definitely don't want to join them and walk along with pupils in silence, I'd feel a right lemon and would probably giggle. Or start singing army marching songs!

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

We have a cashless canteen. The dinner staff can issue a IOU to a child who has forgotten,lost or not updated their card. The office staff will charge cards out of petty cash if needed and ask the parents to pay later.

The younger children in particular are very relieved by this. They get absolutely distraught at the thought of not having lunch and are so happy when the problem is solved. Keeping children in isolation should not be an option.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It takes away the stigma of FSM because everyone has the same card and nobody has to know how it gets charged.

5. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

6. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Agree that it is one way of eliminating fsm stigma, which I am sure is dreadful in secondary. Our local secondary does this by taking the children's fingerprints! Our daughter flatly refused and takes packed lunch every day.

7. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I think there could be more of a "stigma" when children have to say that they've just not brought in their dinner money and when teachers and other children know perfectly well that their parents are perfectly able to pay for a meal for them. I would have hated that. I sometimes wonder if some people today just don't care. As for the school you're talking about, it sounds more like a reform school. It would be the right place to send the little horrors who are plaguing you now as a punishment. I'm glad I'm now retired and away from what some of you have to suffer today, ha ha

8. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I remember FSM in the 70's. I had a big silver token given to me every day to 'spend'. The dinner ladies knew, all my friends knew, all the teachers knew. Our next door neighbour was a dinner lady and used to give us sweets at Christmas. Looking back we were probably seen as the village charity cases.

9. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

It will be interesting to see what grade they get when Ofsted come a calling, because apparently, "At Michaela teachers do not mark books. Ever." From:http://www.learningspy.co.uk/featured/michaela-school-route-one-schooling/

However, if this is also true: "What they have indisputably got right is putting teaching well-being at the heart of every decision they make. Although Birbalsingh thinks “display work is lovely,” the time it takes for students to make it and teachers to put it up just isn't worth the cost. So there’s no student work on display. She talked about the US Charter School method of employing 23-year-old teachers, burning them for four years and then spitting them out, exhausted and broken. This she says is unsustainable and makes a school a miserable place to work...."

She might be onto something there, current staff turnover in UK schools, let alone American ones, is appalling.

10. redlamp2

It's nice that she's able to get paid for her experiments. And she clearly knows best.

11. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I've met Barry Smirh at an inset day course. Nice but intense bloke. Kept raving about this new school he was going to. Well it sounds pretty heavy handed to me. Expensive meals, I think!

12. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

Woah!!! Not for the first time, I have messed up on here, by supporting one side of an argument and then reading the small print - well the previous posts!

Is that really true: "We are a vegetarian school." and there is no option to take a packed lunch???

I wonder why that is? Well for a start, it would remove any discorse about whether their food is Halal, or not...

Is Katherine Birbalsingh a proponent of vegetarianism? Maybe she is, maybe she ain't, but I'm sorry - she can instruct her charges to walk a certain way, have their ties all nice and neat etc. etc. but to force that lifestyle upon them!!! It's just wrong.

Close it down, close it down now and anyone who owes any cash, just let them off. It's a load of b0ll0x.

P.S. I'm going now, to cook some bacon and eggs, scratching my head and wondering what is happening to this country...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I remember going on a school trip to a Sikh Gurdwara. We were given (free) food, as are all visitors. It was vegetarian - not because they wanted to spread vegetarianism, but because - we were told - everyone can eat it - it is 'inclusive'. Seemed reasonable to me. And it tasted great.

NB I'm not a vegetarian.

14. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

15. Thursdays_Child

Thursdays_Child New commenter

I always felt quite awkward about this. There was one child who used to come into class after lunch having had a slice of white bread with cheese and water. All the children knew he had an emergency lunch because his mum hadn't paid. They could see it and although I'm very glad to say the children were very well behaved and made no issue of it, it was still very obvious.

I don't like it. It made me feel uncomfortable but then the parents need to pay and that's a statement of fact. But I fear that even the emergency lunch draws unwanted attention to the poor child

16. drek

drek Lead commenter

what's coming through the media anyway is that the school makes the rules and sticks to them. Much like private schools
    They apparently don't care for ofsted idiosyncracies and make no attempt to be ofsted apologists at the expense of staff and student well being. Whether its true or not I don't know.

I've worked at three schools so far with terribly weak leadership.
    Outstanding in the eyes of Ofsted. But such weak little people. Always hypocritically thanking staff for working unpaid overtime every weekend to show evidence of this new marking or intevention fad or the other. With no increase in results or improvements in behaviour to show for it!

In fact teachers are severely punished or penalised if they use the school's own behaviour policy. They can only cope with new joinees or trainees and their mentors using the policy correctly otherwise its each teacher to their own. Hence some teachers get all the 'naughties' others get all the ones who are going to make their own 'performance' look good on paper.

If there is only one parent flagrantly opposing the rules perhaps she should have sent the child home.
    some schools send children home for incorrect uniform or haircuts although owing to 'interventions' this is not always done fairly across the board so stops working after a while.

Ever since cashless systems were introduced canteens have been running on fresh air as each student is allowed a credit
    and quite a few run it up to max never pay it and bring packed lunches once its blocked. Letters home are ignored.

So tutors are forced to ring home in their planning time and chase up what is essentially a financial admin task. But the number of students on credit becomes too high for the 5 admin staff so its handed on to teachers like most additional 'little jobs'. Only its not so little for the teacher with 20 non payees.
    The students are then refused lunch at the till and its never mentioned in the media!
    Poor parents don't make good press unless they complain about teaching 'standards' ?
    The Michaela story about one student made the press. Interesting. She has a few political enemies.
    If they can't get her down via an inspection then perhaps they are aiming for it via duty of care?

17. redlamp2

This article largely misses the point that the administration was inappropriate and inadequate.

It does raise an interesting question though that perhaps the solution is to not provide school lunches at all. Packed lunches for all.

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There are lots of kids for whom a school dinner is the best and most nutritious food they get all day. How many kids come to school without having any breakfast ?

It's NOT a cliche, it happens.

19. redlamp2

There are also an awful lot of fat kids.

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Lots of fat adults too

and lots of unpleasant judgmental ones too.